2/ Do you work or have you worked in the video game industry

--------------------------

Snacky
Sunday, May 18, 2003

1. rarely (flight sim occasionally)
2. no

Gwyn
Sunday, May 18, 2003

I stopped really playing video games about five years ago. Not sure why, but I just lost interest. Nothing really exciting out there. Fancy graphics, awesome sound, but no real gameplay.

I suppose I am waiting for the next SimCity (classic), or tetris. Something in their simplicity that was fun. Once in a while I play Age of Empires, but that's it. Even the Sims did not do it for me.

tapiwa
Sunday, May 18, 2003

Does chess count?  When I'm really stressed I'll play golf.

B#
Sunday, May 18, 2003

I'm a player (Baldur's Gate / Morrowind / NWN / Warcraft III) etc.

Giorgio Pallocca
Sunday, May 18, 2003

leisure suit larry

Tom Vu
Sunday, May 18, 2003

Age Of Mythology/Warcraft3

GiorgioG
Sunday, May 18, 2003

1. Yes (Mostly MMORPGS, UO, Everquest, Wow and a few others like Baldurs Gate and Wolfenstein)
2. Nope ( But maybe someday )

Dave B.
Sunday, May 18, 2003

you mean like, kicking some allied ass in day of defeat? Of course. The important thing here is discipline. One hour, no more. Otherwise it is just a waste of time.

Btw, can't wait to get my hands on GTA3:Vice City.

Dimitri.
Sunday, May 18, 2003

2) Yes, I worked there for a short while.

1) No, because what you normally do in life has interesting and tedious parts, like most games.  And most games lack the ability to abstract away boring parts.  For example, take sid meier's alpha centauri.  There are really routine parts that you should be able to script away.  But nope, 90% of the time you're clicking away to get to the interesting 10%.  The prebuilt AIs are worthless.  (Though smacktalking with friends in games like mariokart or virtua fighter 2 is great.)

Plus, many interfaces are intentionally painful, like emacs without remappable keybindings, so a precondition to success is being good at some interface you can't change.

Tj
Sunday, May 18, 2003

Interesting -- I don't have much interest in games either, unless I have taken a break from developing. I play a game about once a year or so on average -- last year, after about three years of no games, I got Riven and Exile and enjoyed them both at a leisurely pace. These are old cames of course, I tend to stay way behind the curve.

Anyway, the thing about this is I think that development satisfies the same needs as gaming would, but the problem solving in development is more interesting and also when I am done with something I have really accomplished something rather than finished some game and feeling frazzled and worn and wondering where all the time went. So both activities require problem solving, but development is more satisfying overall.

I was going to say no but then I realized the answer is yes actually since I have designed gaming hardware and drivers. I just haven't designed games themselves.

X. J. Scott
Sunday, May 18, 2003

1) Not as much as I used to. I play some ShadowBane, and was a StarCraft JUNKIE for 2 solid years (on the phone with 2 friends for hours every night)

I'm eagerly awaiting Duke Nukem Forever, though.

2) Not professionaly; some hobby experience.

Tim Sullivan
Sunday, May 18, 2003

1) Not really
2) Yes

Sounds strange, but i am more fascinated by the technology behind games than on the game play side. So I play games sometimes but I spent the last 8 years doing them for a living....

Dirk
Sunday, May 18, 2003

No.  No.

Alyosha`
Sunday, May 18, 2003

Not since the arcade version of Space Invaders was hot stuff.

Guess I'm ancient, huh? :)

sgf
Sunday, May 18, 2003

1. Not really. I don't have time for lengthy shoot 'em ups or mystery/mud stuff. While some of the games are fun, it adds up to a big chunck of time down the drain. If I do play a game, it's a simple arcade type that you can learn in 2 minutes and play during a 5 minute break.

2. Nope.

Edoc
Sunday, May 18, 2003

was big on Need For Speed, lost interest in Games a few years back.

Not yet to answer the second question.

Prakash S
Sunday, May 18, 2003

1) yes, but very few games interest me lately. I recently played Baldur's Gate (for the PS2) and Zone of Enders. Oh and The Two Towers game. Fun hack and slash games.

I didn't like Max Payne much. My girlfriend and I like the Silent Hill series a lot. She's a bit of a Tomb Raider fan, but they got boring for  her.

I played the Metal Gear duo and enjoyed them. I'm gonna play The Matrix game next.

I miss good adventure games... You know, like Zork and such. That was a good Genre that seems to only exist in either Military (Metal Gear, Syphon Filter) Ninja (Tenchu, etc.) and Horror (Silent Hill, Resident Evil).

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, May 18, 2003

2) No, buy my buddy is the webmaster for Gotham Games.

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, May 18, 2003

[the problem solving in development is more interesting and also when I am done with something I have really accomplished something]

I feel the same way. For some reason I don't play any kind of games, video or not. I think of life as being a game, and I would rather spend my energy on that, because you can actually win something.

No, I never developed games.

The Real PC
Sunday, May 18, 2003

Sounds like James P Carse's book Finite and Infinite Games.

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, May 18, 2003

1. I used to play PC games but since I kicked the windows habit I've gone to playing PS2 games, and I'm enjoying it (and it saves money on video card upgrades:). I know, Sony ain't saints either. I find the PS2 nice as it's a break from sitting in front of the PC, which PC gaming isn't. I was never a big multiplayer fan so I don't miss that aspect. I'm just looking for quick, easy to get started with, and fun games. I'm really a really "casual" gamer.

2. Never worked in the games industry. Few jobs for programmers, more jobs for content and level creation. Also, too many last minute crunches.

Alex Moffat
Sunday, May 18, 2003

(1) Does free cell count (?)
(2) no

LesC
Sunday, May 18, 2003

1)  Yes.  My wife and I are playing through Zelda.  She likes the "chat with villagers" parts and I like the "throw bombs at the big lizard" parts.

2)  Yup, computer games.  Surprising similar to my last job doing banking software, probably because everyone acts very professionally at both places.  The big differences are games don't require much of an audit trail and phrases like "this is similar to Conan the Barbarian's universe" don't tend to come up in meetings about banking software.  Plus, programming games is much more interesting to me.

Allagash
Sunday, May 18, 2003

1) Unreal Tournament 2003.  I 'binge and purge', ie. I won't play at all for weeks at a time, then I'll play obsessively for a few days. 

It usually starts when I tell myself I need to take a break from coding and it ends when I realize how much time I've wasted!

2) no.

Steve H
Sunday, May 18, 2003

1) Yes. Recently I've been into C&C Generals but the last few days I've been playing the Enter the Matrix game.

2) Nope.

dmooney
Monday, May 19, 2003

I love playing 80s games on MAME, Bubble Bobble, Nemesis etc.

Matthew Lock
Monday, May 19, 2003

When I was a kid I played computer versions of board games. Now I play first person shooters on and off. Most of the time when I have nothing to better to do though I work on my non computer-related hobbies or look for ways to save money.

Li-fan Chen
Monday, May 19, 2003

These way these polls are going is like a buncha geeks chatting (but too lazy to go to a user group).

Li-fan Chen
Monday, May 19, 2003

1. Used to play a lot of Unreal and U.T.  The last game I bought was GTA:3. When I became a father 11 months ago I didn't have the time ...

2. No :(

Innocent Bystander
Monday, May 19, 2003

1. I play RTSes when I can talk people into playing them. Which is rarely, because I'm too good at them (Which is less fun than it sounds. On the other hand I absolutely cannot win chess. Go figure.)

We spent ages looking for an RTS it didn't take at least three people against me to win, and finally ended up with "Ground Control" at which at least everyone has a fair chance. But then most of the machines in our house that could run it exploded, or had disk failures or something of that ilk.

After that I went into a long funk waiting for the RTS industry to grow up and stop copying each other. Finally I bought Pretorians, but I've only done a couple of the training missions, so I can't really comment, but I have hopes for it being a bit less "I'm not warcraft. Nor C&C".

Frankly I think the RTS industry has got dull. I found one game that advertised the number of unit facings they'd rendered as one of the sales points on the box. You're in a whole great big world of hurt when you get to that stage.

We've pretty much reverted back to tabletop wargaming until they get a clue.

2. Yes. I've done a bit. I keep trying to get back into it, and companies seem interested in hiring experienced people who can build big software properly the first time, right up until they find out my salary requirements. I was actually offered a role at a place in Surrey in my recent round of job hunting (They were after really good C++ developers) but we looked at what two software engineers pooling their income could afford to buy in Surrey and decided that we'd never fit all our stuff into a small 2-bed flat. It was a shame because other than the housing stupidity I'd have leapt at the chance - they seemed really interested in actually writing software in some sensible fashion and about having new people bring ideas and skills in.

None of the midlands based games houses even want to read my CV: they don't seem to hire from outside the industry, which probably explains something.

Katie Lucas
Monday, May 19, 2003

1. Yes, irregularly. My faves are the Myst/Riven series, the Thief series, Civilization, the early fps (Wolfenstein, Doom), and old ZX Spectrum games (Skool Daze is still one of my all-time faves).

2. No

Paulo Caetano
Monday, May 19, 2003

1) Yes. Mainly FPS's. Prefer the slower, immerse yourself in another universe type ones. Can't wait for Doom 3, but will have to upgrade my relatively new video card. After a few days of playing, I find my real-world behaviour changing - sneaking peeks around corners and mentally sizing up rooms when entering. Not sure if that is totally healthy - can't save and reload life.

2) No. I hear that they pull loads of overtime and since this is the third weekend working in a row, that's not really appealing right now.

RB
Monday, May 19, 2003

1.Oh yeah !!!

2. Sadly no though I'm sure it wouldbe more fun !!!!

Kim
Monday, May 19, 2003

No, no.
Last game I loved was SubSpace (around 1995 I guess).

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, May 19, 2003

1. I've always been a gamer. I've been much too busy to play much anymore, but then here comes that SWG beta invite...So much for productivity.

2. No. The pay in the game industry sucks.

Mark Hoffman
Monday, May 19, 2003

[the problem solving in development is more interesting and also when I am done with something I have really accomplished something]

oh yeah? And how exactly does producing software give you the same sense of accomplishment and raw satisfaction that a well placed grenade down the street does? You know, when you hear the "phump" and see you got three of them poor bastards...

Dimitri.
Monday, May 19, 2003

ps. and the best part is that you imagine them pounding at their keyboards in blind frustration....

(otoh, I had to buy a new mouse a few weeks ago, since the old one got flattened subsequent to my happening in the path of an M42)

Dimitri.
Monday, May 19, 2003

>> "then here comes that SWG beta invite..."

Grrrr.... Wish I would've gotten one.

Dave B.
Monday, May 19, 2003

(Oh god, those rts games are dangerous.  I've never let myself play starcraft online because I know I'd get creamed by some adrenal zerglings and be so angry I'd spend all my time getting better. 

I even find myself missing warcraft 2, though I suspect it's not as good as I remember.)

Tj
Monday, May 19, 2003

1. It depends, sometimes for periods I will play a game every day. Sometimes I will just not play any games for a few months.
2. I wouldn't mind transitioning to this field. Although it's still work it seems like it might be more gratifying.

Ian Stallings
Monday, May 19, 2003

[I'm eagerly awaiting Duke Nukem Forever, though.]

Hahaha. Good one.

Ian Stallings
Monday, May 19, 2003

RP, you're right about playing games too much affecting you in the real-world ;)

After playing Gran Turismo for a few days and then going to the grocery store, I'd get all sorts of crazy and stupid ideas thinking about the maneuvers I could pull in my car. I'm thinking "GT is a driving simulator with real-world physics, I know how to handle my car now!" Ahhh not quite.

Glenn
Monday, May 19, 2003

1. No, except to test the ones I work on.

2. Yes.

I love my job. It's hard to stop working, I have so much happy fun energy to see how the next part turns out or to see it working.

Matt
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

1) Nope. Lost interest about 15 years ago when I discovered it was more fun to hack games on my old ZX Spectrum to pieces than to play them ... C programming beckoned.

2) Nope, haven't got the skills and can't draw for toffee (which isn't actually a problem for doing good GUI design).

Better than being unemployed...
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Not me.

Except FreeCell, Minesweeper, Empire, Kingdom of Kroz...

Oh wait..  D'oh...

--
ee

eclectic_echidna
Thursday, May 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home