Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How was the "Paper Prototyping" book selected?

I am old enough to know that things do not happen for no  reason.

Attention Mister Joel:

How did you run across the "Paper Prototyping" book?

Did a PR outfit drop you a freebie copy?  Did you find the book yourself, buried in the stacks at the local B&N?  Something else?

Simple questions, but fair ones I think.

Mitch & Murray (from downtown)
Saturday, May 17, 2003

Maybe he saw the review on http://www.useit.com ?

Somebody
Saturday, May 17, 2003

I'm not too young to not yet remember when there wasn't a time that didn't not indicate that we don't want what we didn't know we couldn't have.

Sunday, May 18, 2003

Ummm that overflowed my negative modifier stack.

Simon Lucy
Sunday, May 18, 2003

Jacob Nielson highly recommended it in a recent Alertbox newsletter (but he also wrote the Foreward - big surprise)

However, it is indeed well written. I bought a copy a couple of weeks ago and have liked it so far.

UI Designer
Sunday, May 18, 2003

foreword?

Sunday, May 18, 2003

Good Lord.

Who cares how the book was found?

If a PR frim sent a copy does that make it a bad book somehow?

Clutch Cargo
Sunday, May 18, 2003

Does anyone know where this book is in stock in the UK?

I ordered it from amazon.co.uk about 3 weeks ago but I still haven't received it.

Yanwoo
Monday, May 19, 2003

Joel sees http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=43855&ixReplies=32 topic come up again and again.
Has his own ideas on wasting too much time on "prototypes" and prefers a quick and dirty approach.
Looks on Amazon -> finds book in line with ideas -> Amazon referral commision with link (just petty cash)
blogs

(pure speculation)

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, May 19, 2003

From Snyder's web site:

"Because the prototype is all on paper, you can modify it very easily to fix the problems you find."

Funny, I thought computers were supposed to make changes easy, because it is NOT on paper!

Paul Mansour
Monday, May 19, 2003

My dad (not a programmer) used to deal with a company that would not allow any computer system to be built unless there was a complete paper prototype.  Since the users had to define exactly what they wanted in the prototype, the programmers always knew what they were aiming for.

I always rough-out my university work on paper first and then transcribe to the computer.  That way I can concentrate on the problem first, then deal with *shudders* Java.

Being on paper is fine, the problem is being on 1000s of pieces of paper :-)

Thomas Barker
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Mitch,

I just re-read your post. It's seems to me you are insinuating that the only reason Joel recommended the book is because he has contributed to it and is mentioned in it?

I doubt he is that abject. It is a great book whether he recommends it or not.

UI Designer
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home