Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

A positive experience

I would like to describe a positive experience I had at work recently.
I was asked to make a web portal demo, which my manager wanted to show the non-IT managers of the organization. I didn't know anything about web portals so it wasn't that easy.
Last week he showed it to them and he told me they all liked it. Soon after that an office worker, who had been at the meeting where the demo was shown, told me she really liked my program. I realized my manager had actually given me credit and mentioned my name at the meeting!
In previous IT jobs I seldom or never felt anything I did was appreciated. It makes me feel great, and I wonder if other companies do this.

The Real PC
Saturday, May 17, 2003

Congrats, PC! Sounds like it's ended up being a pretty good week. :-)

Philo

Philo
Saturday, May 17, 2003

This is my first visit to briefly comment about what I've experienced in business software development, as an architect and coder.  I've not experienced this scenario precisely, but it is representative of most of what the coder will experience in their peasant employment:

Q  "[traded that leisure day to work] [boss], this meets 14 out of 10 of your requirements, was completed in 60% of budget, and is 2x as sharp as anything ever done, like it?" 

A  "Yes, it's great, now when do you think R, S, and T can be done (, and expect a functional demo a week before your deadline.)"

John C. Hillyer II
Sunday, May 18, 2003

Face it, he probably mentioned your name first, before he knew they would like it.

Monday, May 19, 2003

In a decent organization, managers and individual contributors alike give credit where credit is due.  It's always gratifying when you see this happening, and it tends to be contagious.

Congratulations, PC, both for doing a good job and picking a good place to do it.

Hardware Guy
Monday, May 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home