Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Opera

Who else here is viewing this site using Opera? I downloaded the latest version (7.10) a few days ago and am very impressed. Mouse gestures are so cool! It's only when you switch to something like Opera that you realise that Microsoft haven't done *one thing* that's interesting with IE since they captured the browser market. I tried Opera a few years ago and wasn't really impressed but the latest version is definitely cool.

John Topley
Thursday, May 15, 2003

Mouse gestures? What's that?

Li-fan Chen
Thursday, May 15, 2003

See http://www.opera.com/features/mouse/

John Topley
Thursday, May 15, 2003

Why buy opera? For mouse gestures?

Gas prices are finally down a bit
Thursday, May 15, 2003

Mozilla has them too, and tabbed browsing.  Be careful thought, you'll become addicted before you know it.

A Random Software Engineer
Thursday, May 15, 2003

Opera has configurability out the wazoo, including the ability to block popups and identify itself as other browsers, both of which come in handy.

And you don't have to buy it if you can tolerate the ad banner.

I've been using opera for two years now and I like it an awful lot.  The configurability has spoiled me rotten.

van pelt
Thursday, May 15, 2003

Does it crash as much as Mozilla/Netscape 7.0 ?

I do like the tabbed browsing, even if they didn't do it right.

mackinac
Thursday, May 15, 2003

>> "even if they didn't do it right"

According to you?  And you are?

A Spacebar
Thursday, May 15, 2003

I love Opera. Mouse gestures are the sort of feature that initially seem unnecessary, but quickly become so useful you wonder how you ever did without them. The tabbed browsing is great, and it hardly ever crashes.

Adrian Gilby
Thursday, May 15, 2003

I also use Advanced Web Browser that I found on www.download.com - it's pretty cool, and freeware.

DJ Kent
Thursday, May 15, 2003

Looking at the mouse gestures, many of them are built into my mouse.

Eg. Why would I click and drag to go forward and backwards, if I can just hit the button on my mouse?

I love my mouse :)

Phibian
Thursday, May 15, 2003

I use Opera (v6) on my PC and Safari on the Mac, and I do sorely miss the mouse gestures when they're not there.  They're such a cool idea that they make me want one of those TouchPoint gesture pads.  (=

Of course, I got excited about the interface scenes in Johnny Mnemonic and Minority Report, too...

And mackinac, Opera crashes once in a great while, but the nice thing about that is that when you relaunch it, it opens up all the windows you had open when it crashed -- *so* nice if you commonly have about 8-10 browser windows open.

Sam Livingston-Gray
Thursday, May 15, 2003

[nod] to Phibian - I use a four-button mouse, and the thumb button is always configured to [backspace] (which is the 'page back' command on IE)

I get *so* twitchy when I use someone else's machine and it's not there...

Philo

Philo
Thursday, May 15, 2003

StrokeIt is an excellent program for mouse gestures across any app: http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/

My colleagues all wonder why I trying to draw strange C shapes with the mouse when I want to close a window on their machines - it is so much easier than reaching for the keyboard or trying to hit that little X shape.

Thursday, May 15, 2003

to answer one poster's question, I often view this site on opera on a redhat box. But, if that's about 60% of the time, the rest of the time is about evenly split across IE 5.5 and Mozilla  (both on linux and W2K). There's no really hard and fast reason for that distribution other than perhaps the way I have my machines arranged around me both at work and at home (btw - you want to go through some withdrawal symptoms sometime, try limiting yourself to only using one 1024x768 monitor for everything you do after having been used to working across 3 - 4 machines! Never realized how spoiled I've become! ;-)

I've found Opera's javascript support to be pretty bad, but that's only an issue on some sites, and doesn't seem to be a problem on JoS. Mozilla (now at 1.3x stable, I believe) does much better with js. From what I've read, the latest Opera version improved its js support somewhat.

I haven't checked out the latest opera tho. some features I particularly like about Opera since 6.x are: tabbed browsing, configurability (e.g. the pop-up blocking), and in particular the ability to save a specific configuration to always start with, or have the choice of restarting where I was when I last closed it, it's small size and its speed, both of launch and operation.

I think they've done a good job with Mozilla 1.3x, but it's still pretty slow compared to opera on the same box, and while they have tabbed browsing, I really miss the ability to store a specific set of tabs or save where I was when I close like I can with opera.

Though the general public is unlikely ever to give a damn about it, I've found the DOM Inspector very handy when testing sites or constructing tests where I have to extract values out of a page. Pretty esoteric, but it's handy for me.

I don't even want to think about opening Netscape on a linux box -- it's been a POS as far as I'm concerned for some time -- way, way too slow and very unstable, but to be fair, I haven't looked at NS on a linux box since 4.76, which is pretty old.

When I do analysis of our clients' log files to see what the breakdowns and trends are with respect to the useragent usage, I keep watching eagerly to see Opera numbers start to show some life, but so far, they're still completely insignificant, along with post-4x Netscape versions and Mozilla.

anonQAguy
Thursday, May 15, 2003

------"Does it crash as much as Mozilla/Netscape 7.0 ?"------

I use Netscape 7.0 on W2000 and it doesn't crash ever.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, May 15, 2003

I use Netscape 7.0 running on Windows NT and it crashes a lot.  The crashes are not random.  There are particular web pages it doesn't like.

mackinac
Thursday, May 15, 2003

Mouse gestures aren't that neat. I tried to use them for a few months and found them irritating and of little value.

pb
Thursday, May 15, 2003

I just downloaded the latest Opera and I like the things they've added... Like being able to add notes as you browse and keep them like bookmarks.

I've liked Opera for quite a few versions now and it really just keeps getting better. Bravo to everyone at Opera Software.

7.11 just came out, btw.

The only issue I've ever had with Opera is that it won't create a new window if you're running low on Memory, while IE will... Then again, if you're already low on Memory maybe that's a good thing!

I like the skins too. Any time someone takes the time to create their own interface that doesn't look like a Visual basic app it tells me that they're doing more at the core of the application than other people.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, May 15, 2003

>>...Microsoft haven't done *one thing* that's interesting with IE since they captured the browser market...

I have to disagree with you there.  Most of the newer innovations have taken place under the hood of IE (in the DOM).  The reason for this is to make it easier for developers to develop applications with IE, which in turn drives it's popularity.

For instance, Databinding (Mozilla still can't do this, can Opera?) is one of my favorites.  IE4 had it but it's gotten steadily better through the versions.  There have been many updates to the DOM over the past few years, which is why IE is the developer's choice.

Granted, these are not consumer features but the extensability model of IE is built so that you can add things like this if a 3rd party felt it would sell.

Wayne
Thursday, May 15, 2003

Side note:  I just started using Mozilla as my work email reader (IMAP against a MSFT exchange server).  Evolution was _horrible_, so I decided to try the Mozilla reader 1.4.1 beta.

The spam filtering is so cool.  After a few hours of marking spam in my subscription lists, almost all the spam is now filtered into the spam folder.  I cannot describe the satisfaction of it all.  It seems to work rather well, and I started marking other things as spam.  Out of Office messages, and some other mails I'd rather ignore that arugable are not spam.  Very nice.

Nat Ersoz
Thursday, May 15, 2003

You can get Bayesian filtering with any mail client by getting PopFile, which runs as a proxy server and is amazingly configurable.

Philo

Philo
Thursday, May 15, 2003

I switched from Netscape to Opera mid-2000. Never used IE.

Augusto
Friday, May 16, 2003

I use opera always. Last version renders all I have thrown to it but some msn pages. So, I won't visit them. It's so enjoyable I think I wouldn't be able to do without it.
More than worth the money.

Ros
Monday, May 19, 2003

The Best thing about opera, along with its mail, tabbing, notes etc.... which you have all mentioned,
is the :
-Quick Search
type 'g search string' in the url to search google,
and set this up with all your favouirate pages using:
http://starzaki.eu.org/~hclan/operapl/en/index.html
A brilliant program that lets you edit the search sites:
I set up allmusic, directionary, imdb urban, etc..
all i do is type a letter in the address bar followed by the search brilliant!

Richard
Tuesday, January 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home