Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Prince2 Tools

I've googled and spelunked around, has anyone a favourite/ useful/good set of or a single toolkit for managing Prince2 projects?

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha....

Sob ......

If anyone can substantively demonstrate that there are enough successful Prince2 projects to justify writing tools, why, I might even be tempted to do it myself.

The PM Formerly Known As Prince
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

I've never heard of Prince2... what is it and what is your opinion of it?

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

Joel,
It appears to be a project process used by UK and European governments  http://www.prince2.com/whatisp2.html#process

A Software Build Guy
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

There used to be a Prince2 toolkit called 'Launchpad' written by a company called Spoce - can be found at  www.spoce.com  (actually still is - I've just looked)

It's a set of templated project forms to be used when running a Prince2 project.

Prince is the UK Govt's defacto project management methodology - stands for Projects IN Controlled Environments and is used mainly in the public sector.

It has an offical website  http://www.prince2.org.uk/ 

I've used it many times and it's basically outlines a common sense approach to project management.  I've never however seen it work on anything under about a £10Million pound project as anyone trying to apply it to smaller jobs tends to lose the will to live very quickly.....

James
Thursday, May 15, 2003

I'm asking because I've been approached with a proposal to develop them and up to now I've always associated Prince2 with large scale projects and either government or government associated projects.

I've noticed though that it is increasingly appearing in job requirements.

Simon Lucy
Thursday, May 15, 2003

Oh wonderful... yet another template based brain dead mythology for project development.

Joe AA
Thursday, May 15, 2003

"I've never heard of Prince 2" - Joel Spolsky

Wow!

Gwyn
Thursday, May 15, 2003

I worked in an organisation in the UK which tried to get all project managers qualified in Prince2. This organisation even created a department called Prince. Most of us attended the course and some of us even passed the tests but Prince never really caught on. I think that was more to do with the commitment of the people who had been sent on the course. The Prince department was renamed and after that it became known as the department “formerly known as Prince”.

It is a very thorough project management methodology but it seems to be best suited for large projects. I think there was a Prince2 package called Princess, but I have never seen it. I have often thought that a Prince2 groupware or workflow system would be a nice project.

Taffy
Thursday, May 15, 2003

Prince 2 is a fantastic theory - but that's pretty much all it is. In reality it's very rarely the right methodology to choose IMHO. There is sooooo much overhead associated with using it, even implemented partially, with a paper trail that could account for a small rainforest.

On the very biggest project there may be a justification to use it - but even on these projects it's success rate is limited (but maybe that's because it's mostly used in the Public Sector . . .).

Increasingly, it's rigid framework is less applicable to modern business (IT) projects.

Yanwoo
Thursday, May 15, 2003

When is someone going to release "the project management methodology formerly known as Prince?"

Craig
Thursday, May 15, 2003

Prince2 was adopted by the UK government in 1989.

Is the fact that it has not succeeded in getting a large IT project completed on time or in budget since then  just a coincidence?

Stephen Jones
Thursday, May 15, 2003

The most useful part of Prince2 is the product breakdown structure that focuses the PM on deliverables rather than the activities that go to make up the deliverables. Very useful for helping participants to focus on outcomes. We all know how much some IT folks love to focus on the means rather than the ends.

The other benefit is that helps to stop/rectify unsuccessful projects early in the life cycle. The use of an accountable project board helps shift accountability back towards management rather than the hapless PM who often takes the blame for senior management ineptitude.

By the way, how many of you critics have delivered large projects on time and to budget. If you have, was it coincidence or did your PM use some type of methodology. Maybe, it was something like PRINCE2 and you didn't know it - it's basically a collection of best practices that have been proved to work in the real world - not just the Public Service in the UK.

Just don't use it out of the box without tailoring. Such mindless activity guarantees huge paper trails and project failure. Tailor it to the circumstances intelligently and it will HELP make your project work.

Nev
Sunday, May 18, 2003

We are an accredited PRINCE2 traininig and consultancy organisation in the UK who have developed a project management tool called Project Monitor that is PRINCE2 compliant.

It must be remembered that PRINCE2 is only a framework for project management and needs to be tailored to fit with organisations' existing project mangement practices to be successful

Paul Kelly - Insights - 01268 727787

Paul Kelly
Thursday, February 19, 2004

Ye of little faith... PRINCE is correctly described as a 'framework' - Paul Kelly - and used very effectively to Product drive projects, endlessly decomposing and flowing and eventually mapping (1:1) to the WBS - not including the PM itself of course. It handles Risk and Issues and Change Management in a practical open-item way and requires the presence of activities and products critical to Project success eg. The Communications and Resource Plans. An excellent product - no longer available I believe - is PRINCESS, produced by WS Atkins. It supports (ed) the creation and maintenance of Product Descriptions, Product Flow Diagrams and Product Breakdown Structures, diagramming and printing of these structures. It can alos import/export to/from a variety of Project Planning tools including MS-Project - great for synchronising with the WBS. It also supports Risk Registers and Change Management. What ever happened to PRINCESS?

ThePRINCE is incorrectly blamed for failing to deliver any large IT Project - Steve Jones - who is talking through his arse (in my opinion)

Frank WIlliamson
Thursday, March 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home