Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Wireless Connectivity

Does anyone have good or bad experience with using cel phone based connectivity? I am referencing PCMCIA cards that use cel carriers for connection, not phone based apps.

Both ATT (on the GSM network) and Sprint offer this service.  I am testing this in the Houston market, hoping for good coverage in the service area.

Christopher Hester
Monday, May 12, 2003

I have setup a Sprint cellphone wireless card (whatever you want to call it) in Northern NJ. It worked great outside or near windows, but away from the window it was useless. Miy Verizon phone works like a charm anywhere in the building (I can also use it for high speed net access... 115k or so but only in the NY/NJ metro area). I know it is a difference between the technology since all people with GSM phones have a problem within the building. Once it was working it went at a decent speed a bit slower then dial-up when in a weak signal area. The laptop was later used within the Jacod Javits center in NYC and it worked at about the same lackluster level, they mentioned that they had to point the laptop towards the windows. I think the device itself was returned when it did not work at some other show later that month, I have not seen it in the office since then atleast!

Good luck with it.

Jeff
Monday, May 12, 2003

So, are you saying the verizon solution worked OK indoors, in good coverage areas?

Christopher Hester
Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Yes I am saying that (sorry wrote that first post after taking some allergy meds, groggy mind) Verizon had better service due to better coverage. Coverage areas is the right idea, it was all about coverage around here. Verizon has some of the best service I have experianced, everyone else seems to be fighting to catch up.

Jeff
Tuesday, May 13, 2003

I have a Pocket PC phone that can access the web over GPRS.  T-Mobile is the provider.  It is a a bit less reliable than plain old cell phone coverage:  When sitting on my couch at home, sometimes it can find the connection fine, sometimes not.  It's a little slow, too.  Though the bigger problem with using the net on the thing is the 320x240 screen.  I would give it a rating of "pretty frustrating, but not altogether useless, and sometimes handy".

Keith Wright
Tuesday, May 13, 2003

I had a CDPD card for my laptop back a few years ago. The 9600 baud speed was a real killer, as was the spotty coverage (it was through AT&T, as I recall, and living in the country, we don't have any AT&T digital cell towers, so no CDPD connectivity).

If it was ~ 56k, and coverage was more or less universal, it would've been a GREAT deal.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, May 13, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home