Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

YA JOS forum knockoff :-)

If anyone is interested, we just completed the deployment of YA Joel on Software forum knockoff:

http://www.snowtide.com/home/forums/

We used to use phpBB, but it created all the atmosphere needed to kill off any potential for actual discussion and discourse.  So, since Joel seems to have put more time into thinking about web forums that we really care to, it made sense to not try to reinvent the design wheel yet again. 

Our implementation has some minor differences, but the design points that Joel has previously laid out for more regular visitors of this forum are all incorporated.  I expect that we'll be shifting the ui in subtle ways as we get some feedback from various corners, but we're pretty happy overall with the final product.

Chas Emerick
Snowtide Informatics

Chas
Monday, May 12, 2003

Minor remark,

Small Palatino font sizes for onscreen reading makes my eyes hurt.

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, May 12, 2003

Do you know that you are using Sybase's logo?

CharlesC
Monday, May 12, 2003

Just Me,

Can you clarify where the "Palatino" fonts are used? I honestly have no idea what that is. Looks to me like he's using Verdana, which is considered by most to be the most readable font out there.

Also, to the bitter anonymous person,

It is helpful because a) a lot of people dig this forum setup and might like to see a free version based on different platforms, and b) most of the people who are replicating the forum make their code open source, so other aspiring coders can take a look and see how it works.

I don't know about this BBS in particular, but most of the people on this board have small personal projects outside of work; no one thinks they are breaking any new ground here, they are just working on an interesting project and exploring technology X. This is similar to the thread below about writing your own compiler - to some people (like me), it's just cool. If you don't think it's cool, you might be in the wrong industry.

Dan J
Monday, May 12, 2003

This one doesn't seem to be offering source Dan, though I could be wrong.

Has anyone written a forum in this style in PHP/MySQL?

Tom (a programmer)
Monday, May 12, 2003

Can Sybase really trademark a logarithmic spiral drawn using the Golden Mean?

Nate Silva
Monday, May 12, 2003

Pretty much anything can be trademarked.

It's a symbol they use to identify themseles - it's unlikely that you can legally use the same symbol to identify yourself, your company, or your product.

If you were writing a mathematics textbook, you could probably make a reasonable case that in that context it's not being used as an identifying symbol for a technology company.

Note that while a trademark is generally specific to an industry, lawyers can't tell the difference between a magazine publisher and a clothing shop. Seriously. They actually think these industries are obviously related. This should give you some idea of how nasty trademark law can get  :)  As you're obviously working in the computer industry, getting even close to a trademark used by a large company will probably be very risky. A cease and desist letter is likely to be the nicest thing you'll get if they ever notice you exist.

Consult a real lawyer if you want actual legal advice - but in the absense of actual legal advice, assume that everything you're doing is going to get you sued for everything you own (at best), and never upset the rabid attack lawers owned by large companies no matter how unreasonable you think they are.

They're lawyers. They're not paid to act like normal human beings.

andrew m
Monday, May 12, 2003

Tom, check out http://www.johnsadventures.com/backend/DiscussionForum/APHPDiscussionForum.html

I installed it on my website briefly and liked it, though after a while articles scrolled off the end of the page and were gone... no archive. I decided to go with Phorum instead, though may switch to the one from Johns Adventures if he ever adds an archive.

here's my install version... I never did anything beyond changing some of the colors. I know it's ugly & the links are blue on blue, so forgive that, and just look at the functionality.

http://www.marktaw.com/forum/Discuss.php

www.marktaw.com
Monday, May 12, 2003

Oh yeah, you can check out my Phorum install here:

http://www.marktaw.com/forum/list.php?f=1

www.marktaw.com
Monday, May 12, 2003

Haven't heard from Dave B. in a while.  I'm surprised he hasn't piped in with a comment on his version, although they are asp.  I must say he did a damn nice job.  (Here's hoping he adds an archive feature (although his search feature can search all posts ) and maybe makes a php/mysql version. More work for ya Dave ;-)  And yes the hard part is building the community because you have to have something to say that a lot of folks can identify with.

JJ
Monday, May 12, 2003

from http://www.snowtide.com/home/forums/msg.jsp?topic=12&cnt=1

style="FONT-FAMILY: Palatino,serif"

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Say Mark, what kind of functionality would you want in addition to the forum you can get from my site (johnsadventures.com that is)? If it's not too time consuming I'd be happy to give it a go...

John C
Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Well... All I really need is an archive. Like on the bottom of the page:

"previous 30 | next 30"

and you could cycle through all the posts that way. This way no "knowledge" gets lots.

Sounds simply to implement, just modify the SQL query to start at whatever number is passed from the URL. Then make sure the number "30" corresponds to whatever number was supplied on install, and finally put in an if statement so that the previous / next links don't show up unless there are previous / next posts.

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, May 13, 2003

I like it, I'll get on it...

John C
Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Did you know you are not explicitly setting your page background colour? Looks bad on non-default-white setups.

Ant
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

Do you DIET Handbag?
Why does it called a fashion handbag?
Why are you using a fashion handbag?
Diet Handbag is made by fabric used for diet sports wear.
Diet handbag is only one in the world. (feel free to get products catalog)
Welcome marketers!

---------------------------------------
DIET handbag is only one in the world.
---------------------------------------
DietBag.com
DietHandbag.com

arabori
Monday, January 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home