Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Configure VS.NET 2002 to use .NET Framework 1.1

Does anyone know how to configure Visual Studio .NET 2002 to use the new .NET Framework SDK version 1.1?  I have searched MSDN and haven't found an answer.

Lemon
Sunday, May 11, 2003

From my understanding, it can not be done.

Damian
Sunday, May 11, 2003

That's right, it cannot be done. If you want to target .NET v1.1, you need to use VS.NET 2003.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, May 11, 2003

The upgrade from 2002 to 2003 is $29...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/howtobuy/upgrade/vstudio03/

Why bother trying to get 2002 to work with 1.1?

GiorgioG
Sunday, May 11, 2003

Thanks guys.

It's not that I'm really >trying< to get it to work, but you would expect to just be able to download the new SDK and use it instead of having to upgrade the IDE also.  And no $29 isn't much, but I still think Microsoft should make the darn thing work with previous IDE's.  Just my 2cp.

Lemon
Sunday, May 11, 2003

Sry 2cp is an Everquest (or MMORPG) term meaning 2 copper pieces.  I meant 2 cents. heh.  Too many games = not good for sanity.

Lemon
Sunday, May 11, 2003

>And no $29 isn't much, but I still think Microsoft should make the darn thing work with previous IDE's.  Just my 2cp.

Why spend $ getting it to work & testing it (delaying its release) when a full upgrade is $29.  Remember, Microsoft is a business - the goal is to make more money by spending the least amount of resources (time & money) as possible.

GiorgioG
Sunday, May 11, 2003

They balanced the effort of making 2002 compile 1.1 vs. just offering a really great price on 2003 upgrades. That's why there's the $29 upgrade offer. And hey, you get new features and a whole new set of bugs to enjoy! ;)

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, May 11, 2003

And as it happens, I just discovered a nice VS.NET 2003 bug...

When you upgrade your VS.NET 2002 solutions & projects to 2003, go through all project files with an editor and delete all HintPath entries for referenced assemblies. The upgrade process neither removes nor updates them, so they still happily point to the .NET Framework 1.0 revision...

That's what I found when I just looked at my C# project files, anyway (extension .csproj). Don't know about other languages, maybe they get updated correctly. Deleting the HintPath elements does not seem to cause any problems.

Chris Nahr
Sunday, May 11, 2003

> ..you would expect to just be able to download the new SDK and use it instead of having to upgrade the IDE also. 

Looks like Microsoft is trying to copy Java TOO much. One of the dumbest mistakes Sun made was breaking compatibility all the time with Java.

Sunday, May 11, 2003

The reason that the didn't do this is in their own words:  "We've never done it before."  Users of Visual Studio 6 would not target MFC 5, and so on back through time.

If you really need to target both environments, they did spend the time to make sure that VS6, VS.NET 2K2 and VS.NET 2K3 can run simultaneously on the same machine.

The one thing that bugs me about 2K3 is that they do not offer the $29 media upgrade fee to Open License users, who probably account for a large percentage of the users.

Walt
Monday, May 12, 2003

I don't think the step from the .NET framework 1.0 to 1.1 is as significant a step from VS5 to VS6. Plus considering that one of .NET's central principles is all-encompassing compatibility, I think surprise is understandable - I, too, would have expected the IDE for 2002 would still work for a framework upgrade in 2003.

Joel Goodwin
Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Updating an IDE just to use a different framework is bollocks.

Its called churning, that they didn't have the gall to charge anything more than $29 is beside the point.

My, am I glad I'm ignoring MS for future development tools.

Simon Lucy
Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Also, I have a copy of the Standard Edition of VB.NET 2002, which means that there is no great upgrade offer for me, outside the US & Canada. Mind you, there is no information about the upgrade at all as far as I can see.

Joel Goodwin
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

What's this ?? VS.Net 02 cannot be upgraded to 1.1 !! That's typical of Microsoft. How are we suppose to use Reporting Services with SQL 2000 Server if the Business Intelligence project does not get installed in VS.Net 02.

harrased by Microsoft
Thursday, February 05, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home