Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

simple video editor

could any of you recommend a simple video editing software for PC ?

I purchased a new digital camcorder and Ulead's video studio was bundled with it. I installed it on my computer but immediately got butterflies in my stomach on seeing the user interface. I've no intention of sitting in front of my PC for hours trying to figure out how it works.

Is there any quick and simple solution available which could let me make nice looking videos without too much of time input ?

Zen
Thursday, May 08, 2003

I'm not sure how full-featured it is, but there's an app called Movie Maker that comes bundled with Windows XP. I don't do video editing, but it looks simple enough.

Chris
Thursday, May 08, 2003

Video editing is indeed simple, bit only if you know how to do it :-). It's a creative job so just knowing about it can create good results but not appealing ones.

Movie maker comes bundled with Win XP and is a basic non-linear editor, a good tool to start with, has a simple GUI and is easy to use.

Another app which is creating buzz in video editing industry is muvee autoproducer (www.muvee.com). These guys have created an automatic video editior which does all the work for you. It's a good app if you don't want to do anything more than clicking 2-3 buttons. The results vary from decent to stunning in some cases.

However,  if you want more control and need to create MTV types music videos then there is no alternative. Sit down for a weekend and  learn to use a full fledge video editor like Adobe Premier. THe learning curve is going to be steep, and in the beginning will take quite long to come with decent looking productions, but you'll get more and more efficient with time.

Sack
Thursday, May 08, 2003

Get the latest version (moviemaker 2 from)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=82887484-6f21-43e2-b4e2-051f72c11a77&DisplayLang=en
then get the "fun pack" from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e04a4dc2-6534-4946-a514-c1309846919b&DisplayLang=en

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, May 08, 2003

I've come across many pleasantly surprised comments from "seasoned pros" regarding Movie Maker 2. If you want to step up to the next level I can't recommend Sonic Foundry's Vegas 4.0 enough ($490). Adobe Premier is a very clunky Mac port in comparison.

Duncan Smart
Thursday, May 08, 2003

iMovie on a mac... very easy to use (automatically splits clips according to cuts on tape) and uses drag and drop to put clips in a sequence. includes some basic effects and text types.

http://www.apple.com/imovie/

Now i have to go and purchase a mac :(

ko
Thursday, May 08, 2003

oops, just re-read the original question, sorry, don't have any idea for pc's. have only done video editing on a mac.

ko
Thursday, May 08, 2003

I've been doing video editing since past 5-6 years using Ulead's and sometimes Pinnacles' software.
On reading the above posts I tried muvee (they have a free trial at http://www.muvee.com/website/freedownload.php ), and believe me no software has ever amazed me as much as this. Good looking productions, which usually take around 2 hours per minute output, I could produce using this software in seconds.

It's a completely new approach to create video productions and I'm just wondering if this software would make professional editors obsolete. :-)

Zen
Friday, May 09, 2003

Above mesg was for Zen

for Zen
Friday, May 09, 2003

Vegas is probably worth checking out. I used Premiere for several years, and all I can tell you is... stay away from it. (currently I am using Final Cut Pro on a Mac)

If you can afford a "pro" level program I would go for it. Many of the "lite" video editors are dumbed down so much that their interfaces are incredibly confusing. Premiere, Vegas, Final Cut, etc just give you a blank timeline to work with - that makes a lot more sense to me than some "Let's Make A Movie Wizard(tm)!"

Dan Maas
Friday, May 09, 2003

"It's a completely new approach to create video productions and I'm just wondering if this software would make professional editors obsolete" -- sure, if everyone preferred really cheesy-looking videos ;-)

Duncan Smart
Friday, May 09, 2003

Depending on what you actually want to edit, have you looked at QuickTime Pro? It can be used on a PC to do basic video editing.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/qtpro_faq.html

UI Designer
Friday, May 09, 2003

My wife and I just adoptd twins 2 months ago, and I've probably already logged 20 hours of editing DV in Movie Maker 2.  Since I can't really afford Premier yet, I thought I'd have to sacrifice quality with MM2, but I have to say I've been VERY impressed!  The transitions and effects are more than adequate, and it's been stable as a rock even while editing 5 12-gig DV files at once.  I did notice a small handle leak after editing for 3 hours straight though.

TwinPapa
Saturday, May 10, 2003

Seeing the recommendation on this group, I gave a shot to muvee and I'm very impressed. MM2 also offers automatic video editing functionality but it's very basic. I'm not sure who copied whom :-) but you've to try muvee to get the real automation experience. I'm sure many people out there who have the money to purchase a camcorder but not the time for creating good looking production, will find this product very useful. All the dv tapes eating dust on my shelf will finally see the light of day.

Btw, I'm a big fan of Qicktime also and have pro version of QT3. Its interface for doing the basic manual editing is the easiest one I've ever find.

chin
Saturday, May 10, 2003

Try VideoImpression 1.6. Is very simple, nice and easy. It is from Arcsoft
Patito

Pato
Saturday, January 17, 2004

Whenever you see a ugly interface like Arcsoft photoimpression you should know to stay back. Most of the time that kind of software comes with cameras. And they try to get away cheap with those junky programs

Al
Sunday, February 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home