Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Where have all the apps gone

http://tinyurl.com/b3h0

I sure hope they get this fixed.  My company planned on moving right away.  Now they are not so sure and have started looking at other offerings.

Melissa
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

The bottom line would seem to be that you can have improved security and reliability or you can have backwards compatibility.

Microsoft majored on the latter for years with Windows 9x and got it in the neck about the former.

John Topley
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

I doubt this will be 'fixed' as far as the current suite of server apps.  Remember, there's no great reason to upgrade to Win2k3 except maybe IIS6 and some security fixes.  So unless your server is internet-facing, security isn't an issue (as far as worms, virii, etc).

Exchange 2003 should be released within the next 2 months - if not released at TechEd.

SQL Server 2003 is slated for a Q4 release I believe.  Most places will not upgrade their data servers & mail servers as soon as a new server OS comes out...so I don't see this as a big deal.

GiorgioG
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Unless there is some major compelling reason for your specific circumstance, I would always wait at least a few months after a general release before planning a major production roll-out. No matter how good and extensive the beta/RC testing was  there is nothing like having the product out in full scale for a while for truly putting it through its paces.
Why be the first out of the trenches unless you realy realy have to?

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Well I guess it just means they are not ready for the data center.  Can you imagine Sun doing this?  I think not.

Mike
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

I'd just like to notify you guys that you're talking about The Inquirer which is basically a rumour site with a strong anti-MS tilt.  Don't assume that Windows Server 2003 has any serious problems unless it's confirmed elsewhere...

Chris Nahr
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

I read this article the other day which looks at the testing Microsoft have done on Windows 2003 server with real world customers using their real world systems - http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winserver2k3_gold3.asp

Bottom line - I think the Inquirer article is completely false.

Ben
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

That's ok, dear blind winbigots.  Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

Francine
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Poor Microsoft -- long bashed for holding onto legacy APIs that nobody uses anymore and when they finally do begin to leave the past behind, they are bashed again for incompatibility.

It's simple, really, if you don't need Server 2003, just keep running what works for you now.  Almost as if by magic all the apps currently running well for you will keep running.

George McBay
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Can I imagine Sun doing something like this? You mean like when they switched from 68000->SPARC and broke all binary compatibility?

How about when they switched from SunOS 4.x to Solaris and broke a lot of source code compatibility?

Yeah, I can imagine Sun doing this.  They already have.

George McBay
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Kind of funny.  40B in the bank and MS can't even buy a break

Mike
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Your current Windows 2000 server will be fully supported untill March 2007, so there will be 4 more years for all those apps to move to Windows Server 2003.
I can understand one getting excited about new features, but why the rush? Relax. 7 Year support cycles are a very good thing indeed.

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, May 07, 2003

Actually, its a five year support.  The last two years are reduced support.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, May 07, 2003

This actually bgrins up a good point. How many of you, that release shrink wrapped software, are testing against windows 2003? Joel are you testing City Desk using windows 2003? If so, have you seen any of these problems mentioned in the article?

Ian Stallings
Wednesday, May 07, 2003

Since it's not 'Windows 2003' but 'Windows Server 2003', I doubt if many people will be running CityDesk on it...  That doesn't mean that it would be a bad thing to test with it - the next desktop release will be based on the same codebase (and some people might run the server version as their desktop).

Also, I was at the Chicago launch of Server 2003/Visual Studio 2003 yesterday and saw SQL Server 2000 running on it as well as vendors showing off their packages on it at their booths. I think the 'everything is broken' rumors are just really bad fear-mongering.

RocketJeff
Wednesday, May 07, 2003

"That doesn't mean that it would be a bad thing to test with it - the next desktop release will be based on the same codebase"

Don't bank on it. I'd say it's a fair bet that Longhorn will have significant differences.

John Topley
Thursday, May 08, 2003

First, you're assuming that 'longhorn' will be the next desktop release - I doubt if that will happen. Longhorn is still several years from release and I expect the next desktop Windows to be released next year (based on past releases and on remarks from MS employees).

Also, it was specifically stated by the Windows product manager that a lot of the changes made to improve the security & stability of Server 2003 would be in the next desktop release. Even if the next desktop is longhorn, it will share a lot of code with the current generatin of Windows.

RocketJeff
Thursday, May 08, 2003

See http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=38967 - although MS have been known to change their minds before ;-)

Of course a lot of the code will be shared but there will also be significant differences, such as WinFS. And the Longhorn shell will be a .NET managed application (it already is in the leaked builds).

John Topley
Thursday, May 08, 2003

I expect there will probably be an "XP Second Edition" between now and Longhorn, and it will be pretty much a non-event for most people.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Thursday, May 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home