Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Reply To The Challenging Problem !!

Guys And Gals,
Thanks for beong so helpful but the problem still remains there,
If I couldnt make myself clear then here's what it is,
IM not a hardware/networking/software programmer or a GEEK at any of these things. all this that i want isto be done on the client receiving the data from those different proxies...
I just want to route both the servers' internet as one to my computer..
If i open up a website "www.fogcreek.com" from my computer then half of the site is downloaded from
192.168.1.20:80
and half of it is downloaded from
192.168.1.10:80
at the same time thus working siutaneously and giving less time to open up webpages..
ALSO
With the download manager poblem,
half of the file is downloaded from the
first proxy (192.168.1.20:80)
and half of it is downloaded from the
second server (192.168.1.10:80)
Thus decresing the download time and faster speed for the download..
If a simple solution occurs like using a software the routes the proxy servers as one or some configuration done in the browsers and Download Managers then please Direct me to IT..
Hardware installation or changing the Operating System From Windows to any other  Wont work for me..
So Please... help me in this regard..
Thank You !!

MS
Monday, May 05, 2003

I hesitate to respond to this thread, but do so in the hope that you will stop posting inappropriate messages such as this. You didn't get the response you expected to your first question, that should have made it evident that most readers of this forum were simply not interested.

If you have one computer, with one internet connection, then no amount of proxies are likely to speed your download. There are software products available which support one computer linking to MULTIPLE internet connections, such as having two or more dial-up modems each with its own internet account, and a GOOGLE search should help you to find more information.

Your browser already opens multiple connections for each item on a page. Browsers such as Opera make this number easily configurable, and there are third party configuration tools for browsers such as IE to achieve the same result. Again, a search engine is your friend.

The limiting factor, however, is the amount of bandwidth coming into your computer. You are constrained by the size of the pipe, not (usually) the server to which you are connected.

Using proxies, in fact, may SLOW your internet connection. If you are in a country with fast internal connections but slow pipes to the outside world, a local proxy may help with commonly downloaded files which have been locally cached. In almost all other cases, the proxy only helps the ISP manage their traffic, and is unlikely to help your download.

Basic advice: nice idea, but give up. And please don't jump up and down screaming for attention.

HeWhoMustBeConfused
Monday, May 05, 2003

I can do it for you :)  <g> theres just the small matter of my fee involved....

networking guru and gungho programmer
Monday, May 05, 2003

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Everything you need to know, right there.

Seriously...
Monday, May 05, 2003

I don't think there is a simple answer to your problem. If there is a way to do it, it would be in the proxy software, since as far as I know browsers cannot do this, but it would mean that the proxies would have to be combined.

There are some other issues that you need to consider

1) You have two proxies but do you have two high speed lines? Spliting the traffic won't help unless you have multiple lines coming in.

2) Regarding downloads the sender is often the bottleneck. If the data is going out at X bps you cannot get it any faster. Also I don't see a way a file down load can be split up as there is one request to get the file and the sending system will start sending it. The sender will not send half to one ip and half to another and the browser will not request the second half of the file.

3) It is true that a HTML page can have lots of things to load but as far as I know that tends to be one by one. I don't think the browser is issuing several requests at once. 

Bottom line I don't think it can be done.  Get a faster connection if you want to speed up the page loads.

JOHN
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

>  Also I don't see a way a file down load can be split up as
> there is one request to get the file and the sending
> system will start sending it. The sender will not send half
> to one ip and half to another and the browser will not
> request the second half of the file.

Actually, this can be done. You can request part of a file, ie., not the whole file. I believe you specify that you want to start at a offset X, and want to get only Y bytes.

I'm making a YADM (Yet Another Download Manager), and this is the next feature I'm looking into. I'm not an HTTP expert, but thankfully, the component set I'm using appears to suport this, which is a Good Thing (TM) :)

--
"Suravye ninto manshima taishite (Peace favor your sword)" (Shienaran salute)
"Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again" (Amys, Aiel Wise One)

Paulo Caetano
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

There goes the neighbourhood!

Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Did someone post JOS to some kiddie hacker forum or something?

Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Seriously...:  I'm not sure what spirit you posted that link in, but  I thought it was great.  New people are coming online all the time; most mean well, but don't really understand how these forums work.  Wish I'd read it about 5 years ago :)

Lee
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home