Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

A Challenging Problem

Hi There,
I need help on getting a way to get data from two or more proxy servers simultaneously (At the same time)..
FOR EXAMPLE:
Im connected to a LAN and there are two proxy servers providing internet connection..
And
What i want is that when i open a website or download a file with a Download Manager, It Takes Data From Both Of The Proxy Servers At The Same Time For The File Or The Website, Thus Increasing The Speed..
Please Help me In this regard..
I would be thankful..

MS
Monday, May 05, 2003

Open them with what?

You can open connections to both addresses at the same time, after that simultaneity is largely a matter of scale, look closely and it will be interleaved.

Or step back and have two physically separate connections (careful with that routing Eugene), but look close enough and you'll find interleaved memory fetches and instruction queues.

So, why do you need it to be simultaneous?

Simon Lucy
Monday, May 05, 2003

I don't know much about networks and proxy servers, but this might help.

There are some proxy servers that allow mapped links. Create a mapped link on each proxy server to point to the server where the file is, and then use a program like Flash Get to add both URLs to the file download. For example:

mapped links:

192.168.1.10:81 to www.example.com:80
192.168.1.20:81 to www.example.com:80

Then, just add 192.168.1.10:81/path/to/your/file and 192.168.1.20:81/path/to/your/file to your download manager...

I don't know if it will work, but I think it's worth a try.

Napoleon Hill :-)
Monday, May 05, 2003

I don't know if I understood your problem correctly, but I guess that will depend of your download mgr.

Getright allows you to segment the download, thus allowing more than 1 thread to work on the file. However, AFAIK, there's no option to specify that each "part" can come from different servers.

OTOH, Download Accelerator breaks your download into several part and "hunts" the file in several servers, and requests different part from different servers - e.g., a 100MB file is divided into 10 parts, and these are downloaded from 5 different servers (Star Downloader has this option, too), but this is not exactly what you want, either.

So, the bottom line is, what options does your download mgr offer you? Have you looked around at the configuration dialogs?

--
"Suravye ninto manshima taishite (Peace favor your sword)" (Shienaran salute)
"Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again" (Amys, Aiel Wise One)

Paulo Caetano
Monday, May 05, 2003

Why not just use a RAID system?  With the right configuration (this wouldn't be true for all) read time can be substantially increased as the data can be read from multiple drives simultaneously.

Good reference:

Managing RAID on Linux

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mraidlinux/

The Voice of Rationality
Monday, May 05, 2003

Guys And Gals,
Thanks for beong so helpful but the problem still remains there,
If I couldnt make myself clear then here's what it is,
IM not a hardware/networking/software programmer or a GEEK at any of these things. all this that i want isto be done on the client receiving the data from those different proxies...
I just want to route both the servers' internet as one to my computer..
If i open up a website "www.fogcreek.com" from my computer then half of the site is downloaded from
192.168.1.20:80
and half of it is downloaded from
192.168.1.10:80
at the same time thus working siutaneously and giving less time to open up webpages..
ALSO
With the download manager poblem,
half of the file is downloaded from the
first proxy (192.168.1.20:80)
and half of it is downloaded from the
second server (192.168.1.10:80)
Thus decresing the download time and faster speed for the download..
If a simple solution occurs like using a software the routes the proxy servers as one or some configuration done in the browsers and Download Managers then please Direct me to IT..
Hardware installation or changing the Operating System From Windows to any other  Wont work for me..
So Please... help me in this regard..
Thank You !!

MS
Monday, May 05, 2003

The time you've spent posting and waiting for responses you could have just downloaded whatever it is on a single connection. Or is there something you are not telling us? Why are you trying to fill your 747 with pin pong balls (from two different directions)?

Tuesday, May 06, 2003

I assume the proxies are in front of different external links. The router configs have already taken care of the problems you are trying to solve. If you believe that the routing tables on your network are suboptimal, gather some evidence and talk to your network admin.
Playing around with loose source routing will only get you into trouble, and in 99,99% of the cases not gain you anything.

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Try http://www.multiproxy.org/

Multi proxy is proxy which sits between your browser and actual proxy.  Point your Brower to Multiproxy. You can provide a list of proxies to MultiProxy.  Multi proxy can rotate the available proxies for different connections.  So if you have 2 proxies(proxy1 and proxy2), half the connection will use 'proxy 1' and half the connections 'proxy 2'

Nitin Bhide
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

So, this was all just an elaborate "puff a product" exercise? What a waste of everyone's time.

Tuesday, May 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home