Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Interesting Tangent: Americas Cup

An interesting article about New Zealand's failed bid to defend the Americas Cup: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3452800&thesection=news&thesubsection=general

Things that caught my attention and could be considered in a software project:

* Management structure was determined to be inappropriate for the defence (project) - "Collectively, they developed the structure, and collectively they failed to challenge its ability to deliver."

* Next challenge will be driven by the sailor's (users) and not designers (architects)

Solution... Kent Beck to head next Team NZ challenge!

Actually, I remember during one of the races the commentators were discussing why one of the more senior members of Team NZ was not participating in the sailing/skippering. He said he didn't have enough familiarity with the navigation, weather and other software systems (so maybe Jakob Neilsen is going to be needed too). I had meant to post that here then.

Walter Rumsby
Sunday, May 04, 2003

For pity's sake, NO!!!! It's bad enough that the New Zealand TV & newspapers having saturation coverage of the America's Cup without seeing it mentioned in JOS. And please, don't anyone mention "Lord of the Rings" or I think I'll cry.

ajs
Monday, May 05, 2003

Sorry,

I'm in Australia and forgot the fervour that exsists around these kinds of things in NZ.

Walter Rumsby
Monday, May 05, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home