Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Matrix Reloaded

Why do so many people in the tech field want to see this movie?

I want to see it 'cos the 1 st one was pretty darn good.

Thoughts!

Prakash S
Sunday, May 04, 2003

Because we're all ubergeeks ;-)

GiorgioG
Sunday, May 04, 2003

Maybe because it is about how the world is really just a big computer simulation, and people in tech use computers?

choppy
Sunday, May 04, 2003

Check out the animatrix cartoon trailers, very interesting.

http://www.intothematrix.com

choppy
Sunday, May 04, 2003

Sorry this is kind of OT, but there really isn't any thread that this should fit under.

Matrix Reloaded will be great, but before it comes out I encourage everyone to see Better Luck Tommorow. I just saw it last night with my girlfriend and it has to be one of the best movies I've seen in recent years. (Plus I'm a college kid - I know movies :P) You *will* leave the theatre confused / disturbed / in love with the movie.

Just a thought.

Andrew Murray
Sunday, May 04, 2003

Good analysis of this topic in Slate

http://slate.msn.com/id/2082400/

igor
Monday, May 05, 2003

Interesting Slate link.  I like these reviews because they make me think, but I usually disagree with them.  They forget that people appreciate a good story, where the storyteller actually gives a damn about entertaining people.  All else is background noise.

For one thing, Neo is no Ender Wiggin.  He's kinda dense, not someone a nerd wants to become unless he could have Morpheus' lines.  And the special fx don't make the movie; Jar-Jar still blew.

I think tech people like this movie because it's smart.  Maybe the physics is off and the ending was cheesy, but Shakespeare had the random ghost or witch to make his plots smoother, and we don't.  (Maybe we look to tech as our superstition.)  It's marketed well and isn't too sentimental.  Many people want to watch Reloaded just to see if it will suck, since even if it does, things like Animatrix will still get subsidized.

anonymous
Monday, May 05, 2003

My girlfriend was telling me how stupid Neo was, and I argued back that he's the everyman through whose eyes we're experiencing this world.

If he was too smart, I don't think we would sympathize with him the same way.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, May 05, 2003

"I'm not a nerdy computer geek who works in a cubicle with a boring job, I'm a superhero who can save the world!" Now, what computer geek would turn away that idea?

The geek shall inherit the earth!

Dan
Monday, May 05, 2003

> The geek shall inherit the earth!

LOL

perhaps computer geeks also are into buddhism and hinduism. plus the matrix is an outgrowth of the cyberpunk genre. surely every geek worth his salt has read neuromancer?

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, May 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home