Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Microsoft X#

I have been digging all my resources for more info on this, but have come up empty-handed. It is quite the closely guarded secret at MSFT! Anyone else know anything more about this?

OPEN-FLY
Friday, May 02, 2003

Never heard of it, what do you reckon it is ?

Steve Jones (UK)
Friday, May 02, 2003

http://techupdate.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t481-s2133275,00.html

This is where I first saw it....

OPEN-FLY
Friday, May 02, 2003

New languages - shmoo languages.  Give me sequence, selection and iteration and leave me alone!  If people and or companies keep publishing these obscure little languages that Veer slightly off course or accomplish some minute task or have a slightly different grammar - all to simply turn a profit - then there's gonna be a billion languages and no one will know whether they're coming or going.

AnyMouse
Friday, May 02, 2003

don't forget abstraction...

anon
Friday, May 02, 2003

Abstraction is not a core language concept.  Abstraction is a new-fangled mess in and of itself.

AnyMouse
Friday, May 02, 2003

My first reaction to this was, "Who cares?"

I'm serious.  Why is this worth our time?

Brent P. Newhall
Friday, May 02, 2003

To clarify:  Why is X# worth our time?

Brent P. Newhall
Friday, May 02, 2003

Sheesh...

"I'm looking for more information on Ruby/Python/Eiffel/Smalltalk.  Anyone know what it is?"

"If people keep coming out with these new languages all the time, I'm gonna puke..."

"Who cares?  Seriously..."

Hopefully that sounds a little different to the grumpy folks.

ODN
Friday, May 02, 2003

"Abstraction is a new-fangled mess...".

I'm intrigued. To my mind Abstraction, in some form, is the key to all language improvements. C is an improvement over assembler (1) because it allows us to 'abstract' the sequence of machine instructions, representing them by mathematical statements. Fortran 90 allows us to abstract a matrix operation to A=B*C. C++ allows us to create our own abstractions. Or is there some technical use of the word 'abstraction' that I'm missing?

David Clayworth
Friday, May 02, 2003

Perhaps X# in the operating system for Segway !

Ben
Friday, May 02, 2003

AnyMouse, your name is Michael Jackson and I claim my five pounds.

Simon Lucy
Friday, May 02, 2003

>> "To my mind Abstraction, in some form, is the key to all language improvements."

Correct.  I was pointing out the complexities that arise from abstraction and the redundancy present in each and every programming language.  Abstraction like so many things is a paradox.

AnyMouse
Friday, May 02, 2003

Current rumor mill is that this:

http://www.research.microsoft.com/~emeijer/Papers/oopsla.pdf

is what X# is going to be. At least conceptually.

Chris Tavares
Friday, May 02, 2003

So xml coders will be able to create full featured apps?

!#$%@#$
Friday, May 02, 2003

From browsing this document it sounds like they're building SQL for XML.  Infer data structure from the schema, then offer SQL-like selection statements to process the data.  Pretty cool for what it's worth, though probably of little interest to people who don't want to do database applications based on XML.

Chris Nahr
Friday, May 02, 2003

I bet someone at Microsoft missed the C and hit the X when typing up a press release, and there really is no X#.

One-Armed Bandit
Friday, May 02, 2003

Can anyone give me more information on X# certification?:-)

Prakash S
Friday, May 02, 2003

I think "Teach yourself X# in 3.62 microseconds" is due out in a week, with 183 full color screen shots.

Keith Wright
Friday, May 02, 2003

XML - databases for dummies.

Friday, May 02, 2003

Other uses for XML apps:

1. Gives the jargon jockeys a new playpen to crowd into

2. Great way to bring a fast Pentium to its knees

Friday, May 02, 2003

So I want all those that pooh poohed me last year when I said you could write code in XML to prostate themselves before me.

That I wasn't entirely serious, is neither here nor there.

Simon Lucy
Saturday, May 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home