Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Visio problem

This thing has me stumped. Do any of you know how to lock a Visio shape in place? I am sure this basic feature of any drawing program mut be there, but boy did they manage to hide it well in the GUI.
I just wat to allign some object in reference to one that is already in the desired position. I do not want this reference object to move in this operation.

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, May 02, 2003

Dunno, but could it be done by crossing linking move events in the VBA model?
This is a wild stab in the dark answer in case no one else actually knows.

Peter Ibbotson
Friday, May 02, 2003

Use 'Protection', under the format menu after you have selected the shape.

Justin
Friday, May 02, 2003

Thanks Justin,

Seems to work. Let's hope MS usability testing keeps on improving this tempting but rough app. At least stability seems to have improved since they were bought by MS.

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, May 02, 2003

Unless I'm missing something here, don't you just highlight the reference object, then shift and highlight the object you want to align with it then select tools -> align shape (F8 in Visio 2000) and select how you want to align them?  The counterintuitive thing is that you select the object that isn't going to move first, which is probably not the object you have just been working with and are trying to move.

Kero
Friday, May 02, 2003

Kero beat me to it - select the 'base' item first and then the items you want aligned to it. Visio always bases the position relative to the first item selected.

Also, the only difference I've seen since MS bought Visio is a different box. I've been using it since the first version and I've never seen a problem with stability.

RocketJeff
Friday, May 02, 2003

No, this doesn't work (in Visio 2002 Enterprise).

I agree with what you're saying; that is the way it's done, certainly in every other product, including previous versions. But Visio just moves the object you're aligning with, relative to the position of the all selected objects - it's more like 'move everything, relative to the first object'.

The alignment itself is somewhat poor (unless I'm missing something).

Justin
Friday, May 02, 2003

I'm not sure what you are doing or why it isn't working.  I just checked with our copy of Visio 2002 Professional and the following steps will allign a second shape with the base shape:
1.  Select the base shape (it is outlined in green)
2.  Hold the shift key and select the second shape (it is outlined in green and the base shape is now outlined in blue)
3.  Select Shape menu
4.  Select Align Shapes menu
5.  Select alignment type
6.  Select OK

What steps are you taking that aren't working?

Kero
Friday, May 02, 2003

OMG,

it must be friday. I am sorry for all the confusion. Normally I use Visio for diagramming. Last week, I decided on a whim to do a small sketch in Powerpoint. I got realy frustrated with not finding the equivalent of "lock". Since it's a slow day today I decided to ask this board, but missed on the program .... must get more caffeine.
Sorry boys and girls. If anyone wants to enlighten me on how this works in Powerpoint though?

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, May 02, 2003

I was using a database diagram which I reverse engineered from SQL server.

It works fine with basic shapes though.

I don't know if this is possible in PowerPoint, though [thanks for the late-breaking news ;) ].

I would do it in 2 steps. Eg to left align everything:

Select everything to align *except* the "protected" shape and then drag the selection to the right of the "protected" shape.

Add the "protected" shape to the selection, then choose left align from the draw menu (bottom right).

Justin
Friday, May 02, 2003

Just to avoid any confusion: The first two lines of the previous post were for Kero (for interest sake).

The rest are Sir's Powerpoint instructions.

Justin
Friday, May 02, 2003

Really off topic here, but has Visio moved away from the paper metaphore? I hated it when I drawed in Visio and met the paper boundary at one side or the other. Sometimes my drawing are just sketches for ideas, not meant for print at all.

Thomas Eyde
Saturday, May 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home