Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Quick Poll: Software Dev. Business

I'm curious, who here is currently building or running their very own small business in software development?  and what type of software do you do?

sedwo
Thursday, May 01, 2003

Process Control and document management.

B#
Thursday, May 01, 2003

B#:

What dev platform?

GiorgioG
Thursday, May 01, 2003

I'm too ashamed of myself to say!

B#
Thursday, May 01, 2003

I know I know!

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, May 01, 2003

CTO of a small startup, writing software for marketing professionals, using .NET.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Thursday, May 01, 2003

Mark

I don't know what that means so I'll assume it's bad <g>

VS 6 ~~~> .net slowly

B#
Thursday, May 01, 2003

Nuclear medicine management suite w/ good ol' Win32. If you're looking for a niche market, you won't find one much smaller. :)

Chris

Chris
Thursday, May 01, 2003

Developer's tools for Win32, various embedded OS, and Linux.

Mitch & Murray (from downtown)
Thursday, May 01, 2003

Okay, I don't know.

I'm running a few new websites using other people's software that I installed and configured. I'm hoping one day they turn a profit.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, May 01, 2003

Mostly modifying accounting systems. Not as dull as I would have guessed when I reluctantly took my first such gig. Among other things, I worked with the CAD guys to get drawings integrated with inventory so that custom jobs (and they're all custom jobs!) have accurate bills of material and costs every step of the way.

Ron Porter
Thursday, May 01, 2003

Small Independant.

Taxi EFTPOS Docket Auditing Software
Attendance Software
Student Grading and Profiling Software
Airshow Event Management Software
Business Management Software
Funeral Planning Software

Mix of VB6/Delphi/C#

Geoff Bennett
Friday, May 02, 2003

Currently working on an Underwriting, Claims and Admin system for Insurance industry, using ASP.NET and SQL2000.

Also, have a couple of ideas for projects that I just don't quite have time to work on these days.

Steve Jones (UK)
Friday, May 02, 2003

Output management and printer drivers

Tony E
Friday, May 02, 2003

We are writing software for (Metals) Comodity Management... a huge trading package, build with PowerBuilder on an Oracle db.

Gumuz
Friday, May 02, 2003

I consult and do work on Multi-Valued database systems (Pick/d3/UniVerse).  This often involves working with some ones code that was often written 15 years ago. Most of the new d3 systems run on windows2000, or Linux.

Often, my d3 work involves using a object library (com object) that allows ms-office (word excel etc) to be integrated into these multi-valued systems. Thus, I do use a lot of VBA in office, and I like the VBA environment very much. It is highly productive..

I also do lots of consulting work in ms-access with some SQL-server thrown in for good measure.  (I am a Microsoft access MVP).

I also take some of those consulting projects, and have commercialized them.  Such as my tour software:

Here is one success example:

http://www.attcanada.net/%7ekallal.msn/Rides/Rides.html

So, I think like every other small consulting company, we consult and do contract work between the time we built up a market for those products that are repeatable, and re-saleable.

Thus, I am one of many who is on the path of trying to convert the company from a consulting and development house into a company that sells a product into a given marketplace.

I think we all realize that having some product beyond our consulting and development skills is the real ticket here.

Consulting and developing is only a means to a end, and not the final destination.

However, I still love to code, and design!

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@msn.com

Albert D. Kallal
Friday, May 02, 2003

We are a small independant company.  We have a website that we will be charging a yearly subscription to in the future and one we wrote that we are leasing to a mortgage company.  Our site is www.NetGolfLeague.com

Mike F.
Friday, May 02, 2003

I am starting selling software.
I already learned some lessons and I know that 'Sky's the limit' is seldom true :)
See a prototype of the site at http://www.virtuoza.com

Boris Yankov
Friday, May 02, 2003

It's not my own, but I helped found it.

We develop ontologies and software generate database systems and other software from ontologies.

Paul Brinkley
Friday, May 02, 2003

I'm ramping up a small game company on the side, which makes web-based games.  Not Solitaire or chess, either; full-fledged games.

Brent P. Newhall
Friday, May 02, 2003

Developing custom business apps (usually around accounting functions) as well as maintaining legacy Business BASIC accounting applications.

Language of choice: ProvideX

Rob Leighton
Friday, May 02, 2003

Knowledge Management, just me, very slowly.

Simon Lucy
Friday, May 02, 2003

Games for cell phones.

msponer
Sunday, May 04, 2003

I've identified a highly unprofitable niche (inventing high level computer languages) which has been strangely neglected by the market. Take a look at http://www.lingolanguage.com and you'll see what I mean!

Codemeister
Sunday, May 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home