Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Joel readers being spammed by African scam mail?

Oh boy, opportunity knocks... ;-)

----------------------------

To: "Bored Bystander" <...@...>
Subject: CNN Article on buggy software and it's cost.
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:50:51 -0400

FROM MR ALEX MGBEE.
ABIDJAN COTE D' IVOIRE
WEST AFRICA
TELL:+22507385808
mgbee11@yahoo.co.uk
ATTN:
DEAR SIR,

MY NAME IS MR ALEX MGBEE.THE ELDER SON OF MR AGADAM MGBEE OF ZIMBABWE.IT MIGHT BE A SURPRISE TO YOU ...
BUT, BEFORE HE DIED HE WROTE HIS WILL, WHICH READS(MY BELOVED SON, I WISH TODRAW YOUR ATTENTION TO THE SUMOF SEVENTEEN MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND
UNITED STATES DOLLARS ($17,500,000) WHICH I DEPOSITED IN A BOX WITH A SECURITY
THE MONEY MUST HAVE BEEN TRANSFERRED INTO YOUR ACCOUNT.
MAY GOD BLESS YOU
BEST REGARD.

ALEX MGBEE .
-------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent on behalf of mgbee11@yahoo.co.uk , from
"The Joel on Software Forum" in reply to your posting:
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/?cmd=show&ixpost=40947

Your email address is never revealed to the sender.

Bored Bystander
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Yeah, me too!

B#
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

I'll check into it. It won't be widespread since there's a limit on the number of messages that any one person can send using our web interface.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

I looked into it...  The guy sent 6 emails (from what looks like somewhere in France).  I've reduced the rate limit to 5 emails per 24 hour period.  He had to sit there and click on each of your links and paste his spam into each one... Your addresses were not compromised (and can't be unless you respond).  I highly doubt that each day he's going to sit there and spend the time to spam each one of you.

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

The Spammers must be getting desperate.

Nunya Bizness
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

They are getting desperate.  Here is their next move.  Zombies on home users computers.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/30414.html

Mike
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Just a minor point but when you use the JOS links to post to somebody they automatically see your email address as it shows up in the header.

So don't post to anybody using these links unless you want them to have the email address you signed up to JOS with.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

It just uses the email and full name at the bottom of the letter form.  This is populated with your email address from the last post you made to the forum, but you are welcome to change it.

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Yes.  I got almost the same thing, to an email account that to date I have used only for as a 'respond-to' for posting to this forum. 
I'd like to hope that they are wasting their time, but there are some pretty clueless programmers.

Emmanuel Goldstein
Thursday, May 01, 2003

I also got spam once or twice to my fog creek forum only e-mail address.... Thankfully it was only once or twice.

Here's a tip to avoid spam: legitimately put nospam in your e-mail address. Spammers will automatically remove it.

I have a nospam@ e-mail address that I use to post to dozens of forums and get relatively little spam at them. The stuff I do get I suspect was shared by places I've signed up at.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, May 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home