Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Concerned about Joel

I'm concerned about Joel's wellbeing after he revealed in an earlier thread that he uses 1/3 of a roll of toilet paper per day.

Perhaps its just me, or perhaps its my UK-based perspective, but that does seem excessive.

Maybe it is related to one of those weird Microsoft interview questions discussed in that book he mentioned recently.

Anyone else had any thoughts on this ?

Steve Jones (UK)
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Steve,

Can't find the thread 'How much toilet roll do you use a day.'  (It would be a little more intelligent to some of the discussions we've been having lately:)

Which thread are you referring to?

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

The monitor thread.

Tuesday, April 29, 2003

IIRC it was on one of the main articles (possibly the Joel Test one, under "Do you use the best tools money can buy?") and was a quip in response to his former IT department sending him nagging emails about his email inbox being too large and making a comparison of the cost of disk space with something trivial.

I don't _think_ the emphasis is on the quantity of bog roll used, rather its cost ratio compared to disks.

Better than being unemployed...
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Steve, I reckon he's just worried about moving to the new building ;-)

Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Stephen,

Joel's just got a soft spot for toilet paper.

Realist
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Don't feel sorry for Joel ... feel sorry for his cleaner and/or plumber!

HeWhoMustBeConfused
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

hahahahahahhah...

Steve,

what are your other concerns? Can you please share them on this forum?:-)

Prakash S
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

If I used any less I couldn't justify monitors, server hard drive space, etc.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Steve Jones (UK)

No wonder why you have an issue with the toilet paper,
You Brits never use napkins either!!!!!!!

When my wife and I were at a Burger King at Heathrow last summer we went to grab napkins from the piblic napkin dispencer. When my wife grabbed a handful (like we always do in NY) the manager came running over from behind the counter practically screaming that we took way too many napkins!!!!!!!!!!!! I was like - "You joking right?" He was like "No we don't do that here in the UK"

I noticed that in the country in general napkins are scarce from a fish & chips shop near Warwick Castle to a cream tea shop in Wales.

Even my buddy's wife's family didn't have too many in the house - they just don't really use them.

And Cold Ice for soda?????????? Nope - they don't use that either!

Interesting country - same language - totally different culture.

KenB
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

"You Brits never use napkins either!!!!!!!"

That's not true, I always grab a pile and have never been challenged. Relax, it was probably just because you're an American... ;-)

John Topley
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

But I was wearing my Smiths T Shirt!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

KenB
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

LOL! They probably thought you were a student trying to blag a job then! Reminds me of a joke we have here:

Q. What do you say to a student with a job?
A. Big Mac and fries please.

John Topley
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Napkins in a Fish and Chip shop is just totally against the culture. The whole point of fish and chips is to get your fingers covered in grease, and since the grease is the best part, the easiest way to clean your fingers is to lick them. If your fingers aren't clean enough to lick, they weren't clean enough for you to be eating fish and chips anyway.

David Clayworth
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

David

That, sort of, describes dating!

Tuesday, April 29, 2003

A true gentleman always carries a handkerchief. 

If your too common to have one, then thats your problem.

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Ged,

If one is indeed too common to carry a handkerchief, then one will occasionally find oneself caught in a spot of the old excreta. :)

tapiwa
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

My concern is that in the Programmer's Paradise mugshots, Joel seems to have lost some of the fine good looks that other pictures of him have always displayed...

Adam in Poland
Wednesday, April 30, 2003

The connection between Joel's furious use of toilet paper and his admirably obsessive fixation on cleansing software of bugs suggests a new criterium to judge the programmer: tissue usage.  It shouldn't be hard to determine a job candidate's tendencies.  In the course of the day-long interview process advocated on this site, the average developer will likely take advantage of the facilities - simply measure the roll before and after. 
Some will argue that this is a classic example a metric that will soon be subverted by those aware of it.  But I say no!  Joel points out that you WANT developers who will 'cheat' by studying techinterview.org and other sources of interview questions.  Such dedicated and valuable people should jell well with the programmer who gorges on beans and Guinness the night before a big interview.     

Or maybe this is merely another example of how the last 10% of a project takes 90% of the time.

Ethan Herdrick
Thursday, May 01, 2003

Do you know if there is toilet paper holder with some sort of usage meter (and preferably Wireles Ethernet so that we can avoid wires). I would like to implement usage monitoring so employees can be warned that something is maybe wrong with their health. It would of course be completely private.
And I would probably need access cards for paper holders so I can know who is using it. Another complication might be if toilet user forgets his/hers access card. Any suggestions?

drazen
Friday, May 02, 2003

Have you considered using webcams with fe^Hacial recognition? Having to swipe a card for access to the paper dispencer might be considered an invasion of privacy, so you need something more sneaky.

(Yes, it's friday folks)

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, May 02, 2003

"Just me" - butt prints? I'm just wondering if everyone's in unique. I guess I will have to check everyone's. Okay, ladies first...

Monday, May 05, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home