Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Need book recommendations on various subjects

Part of my new job's duty is to be a system administrator (and programming in ASP using MS CMS 2001). I have never worked as an administrator so I need something that combines the fundamentals to advance optmizations.

I need recommendations for Windows 2000 server administration, SQL Server 2000 administration and  programming, Commerce Server 2002, and finally .NET stuff, especially ASP.NET and ADO.NET.

I am looking for books that are of the same caliber as Peopleware and Code Complete (both of which I have), meaning that it is comprehensive (fundamentals to advanced), thorough and worth every dime that I spend on.

With the profusion of books out there, I have no idea what is good or not, so I need your help in making a choice, for I don't have too much cash to spend on books.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Yu
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Hi Bob,

I've found that my favorite's for both layout and content tend to be the MS Press offerings. The Step-by-step books can be good intros if you're starting from scratch in an area, but if you get into the detailed use of any specific technology they can be somewhat basic as reference manuals.

For .NET, I have and like some of the Core Reference books. They're generally rather large and thorough.

--Josh

JWA
Sunday, April 27, 2003

You need a manual not Peopleware and Code Complete type books.

Sunday, April 27, 2003

O'Reilly has a pocket handbook on Win2k command line utilities I'd recommend.

Philo

Philo
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Try the Microsoft website.

I remember they had an online seminar about Commerce Server (or at least the Business Desk) there which provided some excellent info when I did an evaluation of CS a couple of years ago. Also look at the material on the dotNet Show.

UI Designer
Sunday, April 27, 2003

http://safari.oreilly.com/

Or...

For SQL Server programming, the two Ken Henderson "Guru's Guides".

For ASP.NET, "Essential ASP.NET With examples in C#" by Fritz Onion

Damian
Monday, April 28, 2003

Just check out www.amazon.com and check the reviews for the books and more important the sample chapters.

This way I found book that really fitted my style.

Also old(er) books are not bad so don't judge on their age.

Smurf975
Monday, April 28, 2003

correction:

This way I found books that really fitted my style.

And I think you can't ask people about books. As each book is written by another author so its a personal choice.

One author will do it for you however the other will explain everything to me.

Smurf975
Monday, April 28, 2003

For Windows 2000 administration you need:

Mastering Windows 2000 Server (4th Edition)
by Mark Minasi (Editor), Christa Anderson, Brian M. Smith, Doug Toombs
ISBN: 0782140432

For SQL Server the included "Books Online" is amazingly good.

Anonymous Coward
Monday, April 28, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home