Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Dave's Forum on CAMEL

I put Dave Behnke's Forum software on CAMEL, tweaked the style sheet a little (YE GODS!). Down the road I hope to link posts on CAMEL to topics in the forum...
But for now it's functional, and future edits shouldn't affect content.

Philo

Philo
Sunday, April 27, 2003

OMG! Wow! This is the highest compliment anyone could pay me! You wouldn't believe how satisfying it is to know that someone is using something you wrote. ( Or maybe you guys would since you work in the business. )  Thanks Philo! ( Hope integration isn't giving you headaches! )

Dave B.
Sunday, April 27, 2003

can you repost the link?

nathan
Monday, April 28, 2003

can anyone explain to me how the search works on this forum?  I searched for "CAMEL" and got this:

No topics about 'CAMEL' found.

i never thought i'd be asking for help on how to do a search...

nathan
Monday, April 28, 2003

www.saintchad.org/blog

Monday, April 28, 2003

thanks

nathan
Monday, April 28, 2003

On the JOS forum, the graphic on the left links back to the topic index. It's non-obvious, but helpful and I use it all the time.

I was encouraging my co-workers to do the exact same thing (start a web log of what a trainwreck the project was) but they never ended up doing it, and I got laid off.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, April 28, 2003

PS - Cool!

www.marktaw.com
Monday, April 28, 2003

Sadly, I don't believe you can search by the thread name, or by the name of individual posters.

Often frustrating.

The Word
Monday, April 28, 2003

No matter what the search goes by (titles, contents, or both), it should find quite a few threads for the search term 'camel'. This thread, for instance.

And Philo, reading your blog reminds me waaay too much of what's going on with our software dev team. :\ Commiserations.

Martha
Monday, April 28, 2003

It seems certain posts are marked 'searchable' and others are not.  For example searching for 'Camel', 'camel' and 'CAMEL' turn up nothing.  Searching for 'Forum software' excludes Dave B.'s last 5 posts of his clone.  Why these posts would be excluded I don't know.  Maybe they are seen as 'self promotion' or maybe they are just excluded from the search because of some bug. /shrug

Monday, April 28, 2003

The search is "OR" always, so the more words you put, the more items you turn up.... This is the opposite of Google, eBay, etc.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, April 28, 2003

Searching is best done with google:

Eg: site:discuss.fogcreek.com CAMEL

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

That search you suggested only turns up 3 results, all to default.asp

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:discuss.fogcreek.com+CAMEL&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=0

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, April 29, 2003

True, all three links go today's main discussion index, but Google also has this wonderful "cached" link which takes you to the index as it was when Google crawled it, and with the search terms highlighted, to make it even easier to find the correct link.

A.T.
Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Well.. that cache isn't exactly an archive, and CTRL + F finds anything I want well enough.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, April 30, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home