Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Programmer's Secretary

Hi,

How would you define the task of secreatary of a programer. If manager have secreatary to help them and keep them on the track with information and work and meetings and appointment, how would secretarial jobs would help programmers to finish their task well?

easy..

easy
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Like a leprechaun: "fantasy". :-p

Seriously, I've never felt like I needed a secretary as a programmer.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Once upon a time (18 years ago when I worked in a biggish company) we had programmer's assistants who were, more or less, PAs for a team of programmers.

In that instance there was enough administrative running around (literal running around to fetch and deliver stuff) to keep them busy.

Nowadays... well depending on the team there's probably still enough stuff for maybe half a dozen developers to keep an assistant busy one way and another - keeping minutes for a start, any number of other things. Whether there's a return on the investment is an entirely different question...

Murph
Sunday, April 27, 2003

I would describe it as "project manager"

Daniel Shchyokin
Sunday, April 27, 2003

I would suggest that a project team should have a tech writer, and he/she should be amenable to performing some secretarial duties, but otherwise print your own damn memos. [grin]

Honestly - I'd be happier with a laser printer on my desk.

Philo

Philo
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Cheap laser and LED printers are available now. I suppose one advantage for the company to having a common laser printer is that the laziness factor for engineers means they'll print out less (because they have to get up and get it). :-p

I didn't really give it much thought, taking it for advantage, but you're right, I need to have a printer handy.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, April 27, 2003

I'm used to there being an office manager, who deals with supplies, deliveries, answering phone calls on the general line, and other secretarial responsibilities.

Julian
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Hi,
I infact ask from programmatic perspective. ie.. If are a programmer and you are given the secretary, what type of work you would assign to secretary who can work for you.  Programmers often have deadlines and if they have someone manage themselves yet not the boss or manager and who knows common stuff, that would be helpful. Assume you are programmer, what is the best way you can keep track of info, delieverd by someone and relavant to you which can make you a better programmer and speed to accomplish your goals. The one whose reach and vision are beyond computer tools to help you.

easy
Sunday, April 27, 2003

My ideal secretary would perform similar roles to what a wizard does to my code. In other words, they manage repetitive tasks in my project that could be done by a less skilled person, thus saving time and resources.

However, when I see a repetitive task, I tend to write an app to automate it. Which leaves the only human secretarial tasks as paper-pushing trivia eg: signing off a purchase req, expense claim form, holiday requests.

Even more traditional secretary-based things like checking people's diaries can be done online now.

Better than being unemployed...
Monday, April 28, 2003

I want someone to field my phone calls when I'm "in the zone"!

Foolish Jordan
Monday, April 28, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home