Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Installing Visual Studio Installer?

How do you install the Visual Studio Installer?  The msdn documentation doesn't tell you how and it is not installed on my VS 6.0 Enterprise system and I have installed everything.  I still can't create a Visual Studio Installer project because I am not given the option. I can create a zip or cab file, but not an Installer project. Maybe I should use a different installation package.

Herman
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Hi Herman,

Do you mean the Package & Deployment Wizard? The shortcut to that is installed in the "Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 Tools" subdirectory of the "Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0" folder in the programs menu.

As far as I know that's the only way to handle an installation project in VS6. It's a bit tedious the first time, but it does save the settings and in the end it works ok. I've had 3 versions of a shrink-wrap VB app selling in for two years using that installer, with few reported problems.

There are a few issues with uninstallations followed by renstallations on Win 98 and Me machines, but they are documented in MSDN.

Regards,

--Josh

JWA
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Thanks for responding Josh.  I am referring to the actual Visual Studio Installer which you are suppose to be able to run from Visual Interdev or Visual J++.

Herman
Sunday, April 27, 2003

I don't believe that it ships with Visual Studio. I seem to recall having to download it, but I could be wrong (maybe it was the MSI version you had to download).

Regardless, using a higher level installation tool is highly recommended. There are some free ones (like Nullsoft) and some commercial ones (like Wise). There's also some diseased ones, like Installshield, that are best to leave be. :-p

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Download for Visual Studio Installer 1.1:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/tools/vsi11/download.aspx
To successfully run the Visual Studio Installer setup program, you must have at least one Visual Studio product already installed on the target machine.

Getting Started with Visual Studio Installer
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vsinstal/html/veovrgettingstartedwithvisualstudioinstaller.asp

Visual Studio Installer is okay (barely) for very simple installs, but I agree with the recommendation to use a different tool (at work, I use Wise for Windows Installer, and I had tried Visual Studio Installer, and also InstallShield).

Philip Dickerson
Monday, April 28, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home