Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Smoking

I used to be on off smoker. By "on" meaning a couple of sticks a week and stuff but lately I seem to be smoking a lot (one pack a day). Have not been getting to much work lately (freelance programmer) and have too much time on my hands for my own good.

Any of you been through this and managed to cut down or give it up for good.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

suhu
Sunday, April 27, 2003

hey. smoking is rough. i used to smoke 2 - 3 packs a day. how i gave it up... is i moved to florida for about 4 months.

i've read that the best way to quit smoking is to change your environment. it is easier to quit cold turkey if you leave your normal routine for a while.

i lived in NYC...and i smoked when i walked around. then i moved to tokyo...where EVERYONE smokes...AND smokes were like $2.00 a pack..  then i decided i was probably going to die at age 35 if i kept up the smoking...  so i found a contract in florida... and just went to the gym in the AM and the beach after work... and managed to cut it out. now in a bar i literally almost barf if offered a smoke... so...

i dont know if it is practical for you to change your environs... but if you can, i would do so. truly, smoking is enjoyable...but horrible for your body... so if you can... move to the beach for a while...give it up.  you'll never go back

choppy
Sunday, April 27, 2003

I smoked four packs a day for thirty-two years and gave up fifteen months ago.

The change of environment in this case was an intensive care unit on a drip feed with anything by mouth banned for a week.

I couldn't be bothered to take up smoking again afterwards. But I have gained nearly 20lbs weight, and actually feel no healthier (in fact slightly worse) than when I was on four packs a day.

Giving up does has an effect on carpets, furniture and clothes though, as they no longer are covered in cigarette burns.

Stephen Jones
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Analyse where and when you smoke.
Avoid smoking at places or during activities where you spend most of the day (e.g. at the desk, on the couch etc.)
Don't get into the black and white thinking (You are either a smoker or you must quit 100%) This polarization is extreme and unproductive.
Enjoy a few smokes in "special" circumstances, but do not get into just smoking routinely.

Just me (Sir to you)
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Quitting smoking is easy. I've done that many times...

S.C.
Sunday, April 27, 2003

[and actually feel no healthier (in fact slightly worse)]

This is wrong wrong wrong.
Either you don't exercise at all (and that is practically guaranteed to make you feel bad) or your lungs were so damaged from smoking they did not recover. But as far as I know that isn't possible, and they always can recover somewhat.
Everyone MUST exercise -- we are animals, not plants, and circulation will not function correctly if your muscles never move. In addition to exercise, you have to re-learn how to breath. Smokers forget how to breath and their lungs have barely any capacity. You smoked for such a long time you may have completely forgotten how to breath and are surviving on a bare minimum of oxygen. This is  no good for your brain and will prevent you from thinking clearly, and your programs will be full of bugs!

The Real PC
Sunday, April 27, 2003

I agree with the 'change environment' comment, but would add that 'change routine' or 'substitute healthy habit' may be just as (or more!) effective. The way I did was to do some exercise every time I felt like a smoke:

Have breakfast: 10 min. stretching exercises
Coffe break: situps
Lunch: walk around block
Coffee break: chin ups
Supper: bike ride
Sit around watching TV: more stretches

Before long I was almost as addicted to these healthy activities as I had previously been to cigarettes. Bonus result: I'm the only person I know that *lost* weight as a result of quitting!

Good luck!

Ron Porter
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Dear PC,
              Why not exercise your brain for once and give your fingers a rest.

You may have decided that anti-smoking is the new religion, but you know nothing about my lungs, my health, the amount of exercise I take or anything else.

The day I want a remote diagonosis I'll consult an online astrologer. He can't know any less than you.

Stephen Jones
Sunday, April 27, 2003

I smoke a few sticks when I want to (usually after some food) and also have quite some free time available when enough cash is on my account.

I choose to go to the gym when I've nothing special to do (or read books, or call prospects).

The results are quite good:

- I met new friends
- My body is in much better shape
- I can concentrate on programming tasks better
- My willpower has been enhanced significantly

But I keep on smoking some sticks. But I do not want to be under the control of nicotine or any other thing (especially a boss). You said you are a freelancer, so I guess that freedom is also an important value for you.

Phil
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Stephen,
It does not require any psychic powers to know that a person who smokes 4 packs of cigarets a day for 30 years has damaged lungs! If you did not feel any improvement after quitting, something definitely is wrong.
But I have another theory -- you actually do feel better but you hate us anti-smoking fanatics so much you won't admit it.

The Real PC
Sunday, April 27, 2003

nicotine is a stimulant and antidepressant, so when you quit smoking the chances are likely that you will feel very sluggish. you certainly do not immediately feel "better."

that is one reason i chose florida to quit cold turkey. i tried to quit many times in the northeast and could not because i needed some fix to stave away the winter blues.

smoking is a weird beast, certainly there are obvious health issues. But, i know a lot of bike messengers, and they all smoke like chimmneys.

choppy
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Im smoking now but a few years ago I managed to stay quit for a year. (I started again because of a change in environment and life circumstances.)

Well, the way I quit that time was quite weird. Being young and reckless I ate some psychedelic Magic Mushrooms when the opportunity presented itself. That in it self was a strange adventure (ordeal might be a better word), and during the intoxication I tried to smoke.
The mushrooms had made med tremendously sensitive though, and the experince of pulling poisonus smoke into one of the most delicate organs in the body was excruciating. I felt so sick from it that it took 6 months before I even considred having a smoke again. I decided att that point not to pick it up again..
The memory of the experince faded however. When I found my self in a situation where smoking offred some comfort as well as quick way of finding freinds in a place where I had none, I started again.

I have actually considred getting hold of some mushrooms again just to help me quit, but I wouldnt know where to start looking. For better or worse.

Eric Debois
Sunday, April 27, 2003

>> Being young and reckless I ate some psychedelic Magic
>>Mushrooms when the opportunity presented itself.
>> during the intoxication I tried to smoke.
>> The mushrooms had made med tremendously sensitive though, and the experince of pulling poisonus smoke into one of the most delicate organs in the body was excruciating. I felt so sick from it that it took 6 months before I even considred having a smoke again.

This sounds like the Ludovico treatment in "A Clockwork Orange".  (IE: the scenes where Alex is strapped down in a theatre watching sex and viloence movies and being given nausea drugs in order to make him associate barfing with "uh, the old in-out, luv.")

But a self administered Ludovico treatment is a new one on me. Hey, whatever works. :-)

Bored Bystander
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Thanks guys for all the advice. I guess it is up to me finally to see the damage that I am causing to myself and more so to others.

suhu
Monday, April 28, 2003

As an ex-smoker the way I quit was to figure out the reason you feel the need to smoke in the first place. It's usually boredom, insecurity or loneliness. Once you admit to yourself WHY you smoke you will find it much easier to quit than chewing gum or plastering your body with patches etc.

ek
Monday, April 28, 2003

Hi Suhu,

I was exactly in the same place. From a couple of cigs to a pack or more a day in less than two years time. But I recently quit. I had the help of a lovely young lady I met sometime ago. Just replacing cigs with kisses work. Don't know if it would fit people like Choppy or Mr. Jones, but if you have been smoking for little time it woud surely will.

And just like Ron, I've lost weight  ;)

Ros
Monday, April 28, 2003

I THINK THAT IF YOU SMOKE YOU SHOULD TRY TO GO TO A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE GO TO STOP SMOKING.

CARLOS WHITE
Friday, February 20, 2004

Dear Suhu,
I was on-off like you, but for me it was more specific: smoked when I drank, mainly, or worked in a bar, and often when hanging out w/friends who were smokers even when no alcohol has been involved.

What's worked for me:  Self-discipline (sounds so much nicer with the 'self' in front), really making up my mind, concentrating on my breath through yoga exercises (it seems criminal to hurt my body when I really pay attention to it), and exercising more (I ran on-off too, now I'm training to be a more regular, advanced runner this summer), and finally, Altoids  :)  .  I stayed out of the bars for the first two weeks (as a customer, that is), and now I can even go hang out and not smoke.  Yey!

My problem/question:  I got sick after I quit!  I have a smoker's cough now, and I seldom did during the 11 years I smoked.  Is this normal?  Has anyone else experienced this?  What made it go away?  Is it just my body getting rid of what once was the "status quo" of toxins?  When will it end?

Heather Hooper
Thursday, June 10, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home