Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Trouble Ahead?

Recently, the company I work for rounded people up for some "good news".

We were informed that we'd exceeded our targets for this time last year. It was only towards the end of the presentation that they dropped in the "minor" fact that we hadn't actually achieved our targets for the quarter. (The company's currently expanding, so targets are higher).

Is it me, or should alarm bells be ringing at this point. It seems the company's dressed up the bad news that we're behind target as an offshoot of good news.

The last time I was in a company that was expanding, yet "behind target", it ended up in layoffs a year later...

Better than being unemployed...
Friday, April 25, 2003

Which is expanding? Projects/revenues, or staff?

One should follow the other; there's a right way and a wrong way. ;-)

Philo

Philo
Friday, April 25, 2003

It all depends, really. A few factors might be how far behind target you were for the quarter; whether being ahead for the year compensates; whether you're actually losing money or just not making it as fast as desired; and if you're losing money, how long you can run at a loss.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, April 25, 2003

It seems projects and staff / space are being expanded hand in hand....

Better than being unemployed...
Friday, April 25, 2003

It sounds like they simply adjusted their targets this year as ooposed to last year when they were much more frugal with their expectations. Did they decide last quarter to start expansion but not meet the goals?

Synonymous Mallard
Friday, April 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home