Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How quickly is .Net being adopted?

Any good articles about how .Net is faring vs. Java and legacy ASP/VB/COM+?

The not-angry coder
Friday, April 25, 2003

You might look at Forbes ASAP's website. With a grain of salt.

Li-fan Chen
Friday, April 25, 2003

My impression is that support for .Net is solid.

Most development houses that are Microsoft-oriented, rather than Unix, are starting to ramp up and are keen. There will be lots of serious .Net applications by the end of the year.

Older asp and VB applications might get ported, but not if there's no need to.

Java has its own solid following among the anti-Microsoft camp, but I detect increasing disquiet at the ever increasing baggage. I think Java's place is more definite at the developer level, because developers appreciate the clean design. Higher up, I'm not sure.

Friday, April 25, 2003

In regards to .Net vs. older Microsoft technologies my take is that, if MS sticks to it's guns, practically all MS-oriented companies will eventually switch to .Net because MS will make it increasingly difficult to continue developing/maintaining/supporting non-.Net technologies. So while the speed of change might be open to debate, the conclusion doesn't seem to be.

In regards to the .Net vs. Java argument. This always seemed pretty open-and-shut to me as well. Practically all companies that are already MS shops are going to switch to .Net. If you're not already an MS shop, any compelling advantages to .Net are completely offset by it's portability issues (I know, there are arguments that .Net is/will eventually be portable, but I don't buy it).

Bill Tomlinson
Friday, April 25, 2003

I don't have any article links handy at the moment but from what I have read on the web (a few articles and several newsgroup posts) it appears that there are a lot developers and Microsoft shops playing with .NET but there isn't a lot of business demand for it at the moment. That said, you can try the following before coming to your own conclusion:

* Do a Google search
* Search the job boards
* Check out various forums and newsgroups

While wide-spread .NET adoption seems inevitable, the question of when is still an unknown.

One Programmer's Opinion
Friday, April 25, 2003

.NET is the future of development in my workplace (15 mostly j2ee developers).  A couple .NET applications are already in wide use and we are looking to replace a significant (j2ee) enterprise application with a .Net re-write.

K
Friday, April 25, 2003

J2EE is the future of development in my workplace (15 mostly .NET developers).  A couple J2EE applications are already in wide use and we are looking to replace a significant (.NET) enterprise application with a J2EE re-write.

KKK
Friday, April 25, 2003

My employer seems to be slowly migrating from VB6 and Access desktop apps to VB.NET, and from classic ASP web apps to ASP.NET. At this point all new web apps are ASP.NET, and I rip-and-replace things every once in a while, but I don't like throwing out working code, so some things are sticking in ASP classic until we do a major redesign and I have to rewrite them anyway.

Dave Rothgery
Friday, April 25, 2003

Overal I see a lot of "interest" in .NET, small experiments, developer awareness and training etc., but not very much big projects/deployments.
I have heard of some Java/J2EE migrations but certainly no significant percentages. I also do not believe in a major Java->.NET transition theories. J2EE is here to stay. The economics for recoding major parts to another platform are not there in the foreseable future (IMHO).
What I do see is many new developments that are currently on ice being retargetted towards .NET.  If the sector picks up, we could very well start to see a major .NET wave.

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, April 25, 2003

What sort of sloppy assed organization is already rewriting their .NET apps in J2EE!?

Friday, April 25, 2003

I think the adaptation is partly a result of the function of software physics. Big software takes a long time to rewrite, so you have to plan ahead and in fact start rewriting your code ahead of your peers.

Another way to look at adaptation is how easily it is to start integrating the language into everyday life. Maybe your Excel geeks will be using it before you do? Or your back-end web geeks. Perl was on webservers before developers ever thought possible to write Tk-based software just as millions of asp and wsh scripts sprinkled most IT file servers before VB 6.0 is formally adapted.

For example, I do a little of everything, and I can't wait to use .Net for SQL Server stored procedures and triggers or to avoid buying expensive ASP components. A lot of functionality you find in commercial ASP components can be found in .Net foundation classes easily. Crypto, in-memory graphics generation (for dynamically generated gifs), main-memory databases, etc etc. Ofcourse, officially I can't use a lot of these features right away because who knows how reliable they are until you give it a few years--so you'll see it in a lot of in-house scripts before you see it in official development streams.

Li-fan Chen
Friday, April 25, 2003

VB programmers seem to be gradually (and resentfully) experimenting with .NET. They don't like it that Microsoft have obsoleted VB, and they're only adopting .NET because the alternative is letting their code wither and closing shop. They secretly hope something will save them, eg Microsoft will relent and produce VB v7, or some other company will produce a VB clone, or some nice open source coders will make a version of VB, or anything please help...

I should add I'm not a VB programmer (C is all I know). My comments are from talking to developers around where I live.

Bill Rayer
Saturday, April 26, 2003

.NET is HOT HOT HOT in my organization. I manage  a QA team which supports several different development groups and I see .net showing up all over the place.  I would say it's here to stay!

Jen
Saturday, April 26, 2003

"I would say it's here to stay!"

Much like AIDS, Syphillus, TB, HEP C and the others.

Mike
Monday, April 28, 2003

VB programmers seem to be gradually (and resentfully) experimenting with .NET.

I totally disagree with this opinion! I have worked with VB since version 4. The biggest thing I have always hated about VB was you could code in it even if you didn't know how to code correctly!!!! Because of this I have worked with a lot of so-called professionals who don't know JAck about programming.

.NET forces hacks to learn OOP or get into a different profession!!!!!

VB.NET is awesome!!!!!

KenB
Thursday, May 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home