Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Good Commercials

The recent discussion about good commercials raises a interesting question:

Why do companies not make these good commercials more readily available?

Wendy’s commercials, and even some from Hertz rent a car are classics. Yet going to those sites does provide any links for viewing of commercials?

I am sure we would all love to view those Apple Commercials. Especially those classes like “1984” super bowel.

Of course, the IBM’s commercials are also terrific. They can be viewed at:

http://www-3.ibm.com/e-business/doc/content/ondemand/tvspot.html

Those IBM commercials were just put up last week, and no doubt this was due to requests.

For sure, any good move site has trailers that are of course commercials.  Sites like Star Wars and the matrix fully realize the consumer pent up demand for commercials.

And, many even try to out do each other. For the example the new matrix trailer is whopping 100 megs in size, and 1024 across in size. This is quality far beyond what you get with dvd. You also need at lest a 1.2 ghz pc or better to even view such a large trailer. ( there of course smaller ones available too).

http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/

It seems so obvious to make commercials available? I love watching them, and to feed consumers desires to view good commercials seem very logical to me.

I think companies are not using their web sites well when then fail to include good commericals.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@msn.com

Albert D. Kallal
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Can you believe that companies refused to pay adcritic to run their ads? Adcritic was a top ten site when they were around, and people went there voluntarily (and sent their friends there!) to see good ads.
If Adcritic was charging a reasonable price, I'm sure it would be cheaper than Superbowl time and reach more eyes.

Philo

Philo
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Just a thought, but is it possible that the purpose of the commercial is solely to get you to the website,  and once you're there, the need is gone?

I don't think so, but it's a thought.

Advertising is a pretty strange subject though. I recently watched one documentary about the use of sports stars in advertising, in this case Michael Jordan appearing in Nike commercials. The researchers in that situation had deduced (somehow?) that Mr. Jordan himself had little direct effect on sales, but rather his endorsement was a moral booster for Nike staff, and especially Nike salesmen.

That sounds suspect to me, but after the success of Google, who can really predict the usefulness of advertising?

Spam
Thursday, April 24, 2003

My current theory is that competitive advertising (coke vs. pepsi) is a waste of money - people have a preference and are unlikely to be swayed by evangelism.

OTOH, *expository* advertising can be worthwhile - showing that a new product is available, or has new features.

The funny thing is that I believe more money goes into the first kind, since established brands and products have more money to spend...

Philo

Philo@shamelessSelfPromotion.com
Thursday, April 24, 2003

As far as I can remember from a course I took back in college, there are 2 main reasons why you do commercials:
- inform people about new products
- remind people about your product.

Coke and Pepsi would fall in the second category. There seems to be a need for people to be reminded that their products are cool; otherwise, they just stop buying it. Unfortunately, I can't give you a good example of a product that stopped doing commercials and tanked afterward. Although I have  a vague suspicion that Clearly Canadian died because of it and Snapple (who hasn't put out a commercial in a few years) is in the same boat.

Also, many commercials are targeted at kids because kids haven't made up their mind yet on which one they like best and can be heavily influenced by celebrities.

S
Thursday, April 24, 2003

"Unfortunately, I can't give you a good example of a product that stopped doing commercials and tanked afterward."

That's a very funny comment if you think about it.  :)

Kyralessa
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Why do tobacco companies bother to advertise?  They must spend hundreds of millions a year.  I've always suspected that if some brave CEO were to cut advertising, his expenses would drop drastically, and his revenue would only take a minor hit, really bumping overall profits.

Not that I want to encourage smoking...

Jason
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Philo - (Re: Competitive advertising)

That just reminded me of the situation about 10 yrs ago ('94, I think) here in the states where the price of almost every kind of breakfast cereal jumped 25-50% in about 3 months.

There was a Congressional investigation alleging collusion and price fixing, but it turned out that the big 3 cereal companies were simply laying the advertising on thick and passing the costs on.

IIRC, that's about the time I started seeing a lot of generic breakfast cereals in my supermarket.

Devil's Advocate
Thursday, April 24, 2003

S-
I still believe that people don't "forget" about mainstream products. Are people really going to forget that Coca-Cola exists?

A counter-example: Tivo has radically restricted their advertising budget, because they've found their best salespeople are their customers and they don't *need* an advertising budget. So watch Tivo and see how they do.

Philo

Philo
Thursday, April 24, 2003

> Can you believe that companies refused to pay adcritic to run their ads? Adcritic was a top ten site

That was one of my favorite sites (as mentioned, I do like commercials). I even have about 30 or more them that I have saved on my computer. A large number of them came from AdCritic.

I suspect that companies did not want to have to pay AdCritic. After all, does Pepsi want to pay AdCritic for running a 2 year old commercial? I think the difficulty was that companies could not agree on how, or what kind of terms that AdCritic wanted.

However, AdCritic still exists, and is now a pay per view. Interesting, but it seems that many people are even willing to PAY to watch commercials.

If AdCrita can survive, then what a great opportunity they have taken advantage of.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@msn.com

Albert D. Kallal
Thursday, April 24, 2003

ads.com made a go at it for awhile. I suspect the streaming is pretty resource intensive and the economic case tenuous.

pb
Thursday, April 24, 2003

i like the nike/ addidas ads. also my favourite add is the Roberto Baggio/ Johnnie Walker add - can't find it anywhere..

Prakash S
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Jason,

I had the same thoughts, but for comercials of Coke & Pepsi. If they stopped advertising, I am sure they could cut the price of a Coke/Pepsi - by quite a bit.

Not sure why they don't do it, guess there is some explanation to it.

Prakash S
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Commercials are available

http://www.boardsmag.com/screeningroom/

Simon Lucy
Friday, April 25, 2003

One line of thought says that advertising is only necessary for those things you don't really need.

Joe AA
Friday, April 25, 2003

Perhaps they don't make them available because they don't want to generate consumer interest in last year's model?

John Topley
Friday, April 25, 2003

I could quote reams of Bill Hicks material, but I won't. You know where to find it...

slumming IT
Friday, April 25, 2003

That said, there's a really good Honda ad running in the UK at the moment, it's about 2 minutes long and had me completely transfixed - "isn't it great when things just work".

slumming IT
Friday, April 25, 2003

Those Honda adverts are brilliant! The best adverts that I've seen in a long time. They're even better because almost all of it was done for real, with virtually no CGI. Apparently the campaign cost £750,000 and took six months to set up and film.

John Topley
Friday, April 25, 2003

My humble thoughts about advertising... more specifically, why coke and pepsi run so much of it.

The thing with that type of adds (coke, cigarettes, etc) is that there is a lot of _image_ involved. Same about a certain class of cars. Now, if coke would stop advertising, of course you wouln'd foget about it, but what would be the difference between a can of coke and a can of "American Cola" or "CubaCola" or whatever funny name you may find out there. Again, if BMW stopped running its advertising, after a while it wouldn't be "wow, cool, a bmw" but more of "a, hey, isn't that a bmw, I heard they make good cars!"

Advertising serves many more purposes then just "make a product known". Brand image and so on.

You go to a bar. They have a new vodka called "Keruga". You have never heard of it. What kind of cheap venezuelan liquor could that be? I'm not gonna buy that. I'm gonna buy Absolut 'cause it's cool or Smirnoff 'cause it's the real thing. Or maybe Stolichnaya 'cause it's the REAL real thing, but they don't run any adds so people don't know so they don't buy it. And so on.

Thanks for making me aware of adcritic.

Dimitri.
Friday, April 25, 2003

The greatest ads I've ever seen are by Nike, print and video. They must have a marketing-genious tree or something over there. Not as good as they used to be though, maybe the tree burned down.

But the HONDA ad that you guys are talking about can be found here. and it's pretty good too:

http://www.winisp.net/bogusboy/hondaad.htm

Mark
Friday, April 25, 2003

In Japan most companies put their commercials on their website

http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Info/Cm/index.html

http://www.mastercard.com/jp/about/cm/

http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/park/cm/

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/museum/cm_gallery/home.html

Gregg Tavares
Friday, April 25, 2003

Slashdot story on the Honda ad, with discussion, links to articles, and the ad itself: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/14/1146230&tid=129

anomolous coward
Friday, April 25, 2003

Wow, nice links!

Well, I guess a lot of stuff is out there...just got look more!

Albert D. Kallal
Sunday, April 27, 2003

Commercials used to be minutes long, and now commercials are 30 or 15 seconds, but shown more often. Studies that were conducted a while back showed that the most important thing to getting someone to pick one item off the shelf v. a competitor was brand recognition.

If I don't recognize a brand I'm not going to use it. By the same token, newer, fresher, ads keep products in people's minds, and ensure they keep thinking of them as new, fresh products.

If there were a spate of Coke commercials from the 80's I would probably start thinking of Coke as an antiquated product from a bygone era. Our memories of great ads also may be better than the ads themselves.

"Geeze, the CocaCola corporation thought Michael Jackson was cool. What morons." "I never realized how low budget that 'Where's the Beef' commercial was."

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, April 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home