Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

IIT is highly overhyped and overrated

Many consider IIT the best technical school in the World. In my opinion this opinion is not substantiated.

Look at http://icpc.baylor.edu/icpc/Finals/2003medals-web.htm - results of The 27th Annual ACM-ICPC
World Finals - most reputable competition in computer science. More than 2700 teams competed. And what we see?

First place is Warsaw University from Polan. Moscow State University is second and St Petersburg Institute of Fine Mechanics and Optics is third, both from Russia.

And where is IIT? IIT is on 43th place... Not good for best university...

May be average person from IIT is reasonably good, but top people from IIT are definetely not best by world's standards.

By the way, I'm from St. Petersburg Insitute of Fine Mechanics and Optics :)

smm
Thursday, April 24, 2003

What's IIT?
Anyway, couldn't help but have a big smile when reading that first three where polish and russian universities...

Otoh, a factor could also be that american students may take such contests less seriously and devote less time for them.

Dimitri.
Thursday, April 24, 2003

IIT is Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, the most elite university in India.

smm
Thursday, April 24, 2003

43rd best in the world is not bad! One more problem solved and IIT would have been equal with Harvard and Cornell.

I notice something else about the results though. No British, French, Italian or Scandinavian universities. I know the British have their own competition. Maybe a lot of other places do too.

David Clayworth
Thursday, April 24, 2003

This thread has already been aired previously on the forum.

Such competitions merely show that a particular institution can attract the best, and possibly that the best there have not got anything better to do with their time than enter these competitions.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Lot's of south europe universities
http://swerc.up.pt/2002/Data/res_swerc2002.html

and north europe
http://ch.tudelft.nl/~chipcie/ekp/ekp2002/score-final.html

Only 3-5 university from every region go to finals.

smm
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Such programming competions are not well known every where in the world. For exmaple, I live in Israel and studied at Technion - the most prestigious institute in Israel (and also famous in the world), but nobody here even didn't hear about such competitions.
If I had discovered them earler and not when finishing the master degree, may be I would try to organize a team.

Vladimir Getselevich
Thursday, April 24, 2003

The Putnam exams are sorta big in the US, though that's math and not cs.  Still, a lot of the geeks took it.  I don't know if there's anything for cs people aside from Topcoder.

At least IIT is as good as UIowa.  Next step:  world domination.

das gringo
Thursday, April 24, 2003

"At least IIT is as good as UIowa.  Next step:  world domination. "

No, no, no.  That should be "at least as good as Iowa State U." 

Iowa State is the agriculture and engineering school  -- otherwise known as "Moo U."  In comparison, the U of Iowa (my alma mater)  is more oriented toward liberal arts.

I still remember the bumper stickers some cars had after U of Iowa gave Moo U. a particular bad trouncing in football:

Culture - 52
Agriculture - 10

Herbert Sitz
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Every Institution is overhyped

Daniel Shchyokin
Thursday, April 24, 2003

smm - there are  6 IIT's in India, not only in Bombay, but also Delhi,Kharagpur,Kanpur,Madras and Guwahati.
The people who go into the cs dept are the top 100-200 ranks of more than 2,00000 examinees throughout India taking the entrance exam, and the questions would be difficult for even a 2-3rd year college student in Math,Physics or Chemistry.(I know i've written it) they test the concepts, if you are really intelligent and can figure things out you will get through.
I remember there was a question when I wrote the exam ,where it involved differential calculus, optics and
linear optimization...go figure.They combine all the concepts beautifully in the entrance exam.

80 of us in my high school class studied for the exams, only 2 got in and they were brilliant.
Just looking at the list of IIT grads, Vinod Khosla is there,the founder of SUN, as well as the CEO's of american airways and a few other corporations.The so called father of the Pentium chip is also from IIT.
At least in undergrad work IIT is good( top 5 in the world).
Recently there was a paper published by a prof. and 2 grad students about prime number factoring.It's supposed to be a big breakthrough in prime number research.I am sure there is a link from slashdot.

Believe me the competition to get in is very tough, with only the  best of best getting through on merit.
As to why they did not to do great in the programming competition, I really don't know.
(P.S - I had a rank around 3500 in the Entrance exam) - 2 years of sweat and toil.

Sumit
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Could we stop these blatant plugs. IIT doesn't rank on patents or faculty, and this hyping is nothing more than PR by the Indian software industry. They tried it here before and got no takers; now they're trying again.

Pathetic.

Thursday, April 24, 2003

Faculty? if you mean nobel prize winners, than no there are not any...but we are not talking about the faculty, we are talking about the students....and this ain't no pr...
merely the truth.

'
Thursday, April 24, 2003

it is matter of opinion as to whether the iits are the best in the world, but to wonder if they are amongst the finest is naivete. as sumit says, the entrance exams are so very difficult that only the finest get through. as for the hype being an attempt by the indian software industry, that is a flawed hypothesis, a large proportion of the iitians decide to come to the us, i do not quite see the advantage the software industry will derive from the iits' prestige.

in the referenced contest caltech and ucberkley were 13th, harvard and cornell were 30th and mit does not even seem to be in the list, i'm sure that is not gonna start a mass exodus from these univs to warsaw and poland. eastern europe has been historically superior in pure math and, by association, computer science, but well, there is more to it.

regards,
ubaid.
http://ubaid.blogspot.com/

ubaid amin dhiyan
Friday, April 25, 2003

Vladimir,

There are such competitions in Israel - not for the University age groups though. Israel participates (with great success) in C.S. and Math olympiads for ages < 20.

--
Eli Bendersky
http://www.geocities.com/spur4444/

Eli Bendersky
Friday, April 25, 2003

"Otoh, a factor could also be that american students may take such contests less seriously and devote less time for them. "

Isn't this representative of a more general attitude towards education and scolarship in general in the USA?
Party on, dudes.
Decline and fall of the Roman empire springs to mind ;-)

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, April 25, 2003

There are no Nobel prizes in Math or computing Science.

And most courntries outside the US don't accept software patents either.

Stephen Jones
Friday, April 25, 2003

I always thought that IIT stood for :
Illinois Institute of Technology
http://www.iit.edu/

Cletus
Saturday, April 26, 2003

I am a Canadian...

Nevertheless, don't underestimate usa universities. The reason why it seems teams in usa are not performing well because there are so many top universities there, whereas in the other countries there are at most, say, three  best universities in the whole country.

Oh. An it is only this year result. States universities perform much better in other years.

Rick Tang
Thursday, May 01, 2003

IIT's are no doubt the best in India. One fact is also this that the entrance examination is foolish...I mean creativity, imagination is not seen ...but the craming power of a person is seen...People here in india take coaching for 2 years...drop 1 or 2 years if required to study for the exam....This I think is a reason why you don't see any IITian part of any new invention or research work....They ultimately land up in Silicon Valley as a software engineers....Another reason for hype of IIT's are, here in india, If you ask a student what do you want to do in life,He will say I want to be in a IIT: People here choose their proffession, not based on what they want to do in life but from which institution they can get a job after finishing the course....It's all money based...They have a different attitude....Around 2500 engineers pass every year from IIT...How many of them actually make it to top ( Acc. to their def. of success)....Yes, They are hard working people, that's it...And so everyone, whether it's Microsoft or Sun wants them....Microsoft or Sun don't want IITians for their imagination or creativity ....but as a english literate and hard working people.I certainly can say that IIT's are over-hyped by people in software industry who wants to make full use of them....And yes, who will not it ,if they are getting people from best institute of a country at same salary as any other software engineer from india...Priorities of an IITian is same as any other indian when they come to US ...MONEY..and they measure their success with it....more the money they earn...more are they successfull.   

Please listen
Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Maybe I would encourage some of the "bright" minds here to spend some time with an IIT grad before jumping to false conclusions. Engineers do not win Nobel Prizes, scientists do.

Au contraire, I think we have been underhyped. The average IIt grad will leave all your Ivy leaguers etc etc(and the garbage) way behind.

By the way, IITians do not have to brag of their capabilities like their American counterparts.

You guys do not know engineering or math anyway. Only a bunch know and those who know earn the respect of IITians.

After coming to USA, I have learnt to ignore"garbage".

You all are a bunch of garbage. Your education is no better than 2 dollars, in effect.

IITgrad
Friday, March 12, 2004

iitians follow instructions pretty well. they are capable of learning an exisiting concept and mastering it. as far as creativity they rank pretty low on the list. furthermore, if us schools and engineering is such garbage how come we are technologically the most advanced and frankly all new ideas are generated and invented here. compare the per capita incomes (india and us). India is not a newly discovered land it has been around for thousands of years. if indian are that smart (finishing 43rd on math olympiads) how come they are at the bottom economic totem pole.

george puck
Saturday, March 13, 2004

what the hel!!!

ridiculous statement....its the best in the world.

sukant
Thursday, March 18, 2004

Geez. "India is not a new land". Haha...talk abt ignorance...its just been over 50 years that India got its Independence. India was exploited by the British Empire till then. Thats why India isn't doing the best economically. Added to that your country has fewer than 500 million huh? INdia has a billion people and considering that India is doing relli well. I'm studying in the US now. Univ of California, one of the best research schools in the world. And yet, i am not ignorant when it comes to recognizing people who come from good schools. IIT is one the best engineering schools in the world. Face it! Having the 43rd rank is one thing....but, being good not only at CS but everything! is another thing:) And IIT'ians are excellent at everything.

I never went there....but, thats the truth!

Univ California Student
Thursday, March 18, 2004

if indians are so smart why were they outsmarted by the Brits for 250 years. and served as the humble servants of the Brits. It is all a ploy to get the outsourcing business. somehow I am not surprised that india is able to produce a few smart people out of over a billion people. totally overblown and overrated. they are not the best as they proclaim. they are good there is no doubt. lack originality and creativity, however. Good students for sure. I am in the IT business  and employ a lot of people from different countries. frankly, i have had the most disappointing experience  with indian programmers and engineers. while the chinese and russians delivered. easy to fool large corporation.

george puck
Sunday, March 21, 2004

I find it hard to believe that a person who hires IT people thinks that " India was not a newly discovered land"
1) that statement makes no sense.
2) India was being ruled...for pete's sake...what does discovery of a land got to do with IIT being overyhyped and overrated????!!??
3) In any case, the reason why India was ruled by the Brits was coz we did not have the weapons to compete against them. India has always been a peace loving country.

As a student at Univ California; if I compare the caliber of students; even without a survey, I am confident taht a statistically significant data will indicate that Indian and Chinese students outperform American students in practically every field.

Indians are not creative...hyuk hyuk...thats a joke! atleast that brought a smile to my face..so ur statement wasnt completely useless.
I may not be hiring people; but if I would I am confident that Indian students would bring in original ideas. Indian students mingle with other students unlike Chinese students who stick in groups and lack the networking capability. American students are better off in this regards (but INdian students are not far behind).

What I think is that every country has smart people, creative and non creative people. Its hard to make a generalization about how smart people from a country are when you have not met most of them. But, having travelled across the world and studied in several diffetrent countires including INdia; I have to admit that the competition was the greatest in India. The competition there is in the US is laughable. United Kingdom was pretty good! China was competitive too.

Its too bad that you think that Indian IT people couldn't perform. Maybe your assignments were not challenging enough for them and *yawn*...what would u expect?

LEts face it. IIT is not for everyone! Only the brightest of the 400,000 people who apply get accepted. That says it all!

Univ California Student
Sunday, March 21, 2004

So the white supremacy ego is pricked ay?

Anyway the word" white" synonymous with the word cows back home. Whenever I see one with comments and ideas I hear it "mooooo".

Mooo!

Cow Admirer
Sunday, March 28, 2004

It is Indians who gave the world Zero something which the computing world cannot do without ,and iit'ans are also the same product of India,what does this mean that IIt's are zeros?No they can add value when preceded by someone else and of no value individually.See the condition of India even after 50 years of independence ,what have IIT'ians done for it ?Atleast their hearts or smoking lounges in so called silicon valley should vibrate by now!!!!!!!!!

Arun Palli
Wednesday, April 21, 2004

thats bs!!
haha.
funny though!;)

Univ California Student
Monday, April 26, 2004

I agree with all of the above comments. Some are infavour of the title subject and some are against. By the way I am from IIT Roorkee, the recent IIT but the oldest engg. college in Asia.  To my knowledge IITians are good in some aspects. Here everyone will concentrate on all fields i.e., a broad way of thinking when compared to the studies in abroad whcih will be narrow i.e., concentrating on only one field.  But the analytical skills of IITians are extra ordinary. If u compare with contests as far i know, no body will concentrate. Also no publicity of these contests, i will say because of still lack of facilites.

However, IIT's are not less than top class universities.

Raghu
Tuesday, May 04, 2004

The Indian Institute of Technology = Stanford + MIT + Princeton. This is the best institute where in u get education & money is not the criteria. The professors of these IIT's are the most dedicated people. The students r the most coolest lot in the WHOLE of the WORLD, and I can say this with full confidence. They will put down their American Counterparts. Set a challenge and see how the IITians outshine everyone else. This is a Fact.... " Don't be jealous of IITians because u cannot reach them.... They R  the GODS of the WORLD..................................

prajwal nimmagadda
Friday, June 11, 2004

1 out of every 6 people in the world is an indian and when the best indians go to iit's and best iitians go to US isnt it obvious that they should do well regardless of the excellence of the institution.

Prathamesh
Sunday, June 27, 2004

Prathamesh:
Good point man!

Just wanted to know...
Sunday, June 27, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home