Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Do you ever read free magazines?

I was going to sign up for a free subscription to "Baseline" (as per Joel's recommendation), but I didn't want to bother with filling out the survey questions.  I'd probably never read the magazine, anyway.

I used to get a lot of free trade publications, but I'd chuck 'em straight into recycling without even cracking them open.  Somehow, when you get the thing for free, you don't value it as much.

I started most of the subscriptions when I was unemployed, so I lied my butt off on the survey forms that were required.  (I think I made myself the Chief Information Officer of some fictitious company).  I wonder how many other people do that, too.  I shudder to think of the quality of the overall data that results when the survey results are tabulated.

J. D. Trollinger
Wednesday, April 23, 2003

I get Information Week for free every Monday and I do read it - some of the articles are interesting and others not so good like the one Joel read.  Overall I like it enough to read it and let others at work read it before chucking it...

Steven Tyler

What I enjoy is about getting them is once you start you'll get them forever.  Oh, they'll send you notice after notice about every 6 months trying to get you to update your info, telling you that you only have one more issue etc. 

The funny part is they sell ad space based on readership.  They want you worse to keep up their numbers that the won't ever drop you

Mike

You guys are speaking my language! I subscribe to all kinds of free CIO, IT management, and network magazines and I pitch most of them. I regard it as my retribution against Phb culture and magazine authors posing as experts on things they've never done professionally.

Because it's that slick clay coated paper you can't even burn it in the fireplace without leaving a bunch of crap residue. Worthless all the way around. And yeah, I could have collected a stack 6" high of renewal warnings pasted to the covers of each magazine. I blow them all off and I still get the stuff like clockwork.

Bored Bystander
Thursday, April 24, 2003

I get a few and I like them fine, look through them and occasionally find useful information. I give accurate info on their survey, except for my initials which I encode so as to keep track of who sells my info to who. Seems mainly my info gets sold to people peddling expensive conferences.

X. J. Scott
Thursday, April 24, 2003

The only freebie that I find worth anything much is Network Computing.  Unlike the rest I have seen it is technical, actually talks about interesting infrastructure hardware and working with it.

RH
Thursday, April 24, 2003

I do skim through my free subscriptions when I get the chance. It helps me identify new products, competitors, future marketing, etc. You'd be surprised what tidbits you can find just by reading the press releases. It's like reading slashdot - 99% of it is bullshit, but that other 1% might be a gem.

Ian Stallings
Thursday, April 24, 2003

No, absolutely none at all. And my life is my own again! Woohoo!

Thursday, April 24, 2003

Software Development always gets my full attention.  Infoworld a little less so but I have them email me everything I regularly read.  I can't seem to find a way to stop getting Oracle Magazine though - I found so little of value in it that I have stopped trying.

K
Thursday, April 24, 2003

I get about 8, including eWeek and Baseline, and I find them really valuable. I encourage my staff to read them, and they stick around for several weeks before we pitch them.

Tim Sullivan
Thursday, April 24, 2003

And how!

Those things are worth their weight in toilet paper.

The Word
Thursday, April 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home