Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

IBM ads

I just wanted to say that I hope IBM keeps their advertising company around for a while, because their ads over the past few years have been absolute classics.

Not that I'd buy their services, but I love their ads...

Philo

Philo
Wednesday, April 23, 2003

Their ads are truly funny.

Nat Ersoz

Slightly off topic - but my favourite add is the Roberto Baggio - Johnnie Walker ad,

Prakash S

My favorite: "I don't think.  I'm a "yes" man.  "

Mike Gamerland

IBM along with CDRW's (the "Hey Fred" commercials) commercials are funny because they are based on reality. Among other things, they are poking fun at the way many businesses are run and people's ignorance when it comes to technology issues.

How effective these ads are is debatable. I doubt too many CxOs watch a lot of television. Then again many that is not their target audience?

One Programmer's Opinion

I've loved IBM's ads since the OS/2 days. Currently, my favourite is still the "the printer's not printing" ad. It's the way the boss reacts to Hadley downloading a virus off the web:

"Hadley."

Doesn't come across in a text forum as well as it did on TV (or in my mind's eye).

Tim Sullivan

Isn't IBM the one running those wonderful "magic lamp," "magic pixie dust," etc. commercials?

Brent P. Newhall

Ironic, one of my favorite ads was on Oracle's Homepage a couple years ago, when the last Jurassic Park movie came out:

What's the difference between IBM and Jurassic Park?

One is about dinosaurs roaming around a lost world-- the other is a Spielberg movie.

I fell out laughing when I saw that...

Mark

My favourite series is the "Life is Harsh, your Tequila shouldn't be" from Sauza

tapiwa
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Anywhere one can see these ads online?

Adam in Poland
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Are these IBM ads the ones with "The Universal Business Adapter" that requires an adapter for Europe, and the "Business Time Machine"?

They are the funniest things.

I swear the IBM sales department must get calls from some big CEOs secretary asking about these products because the CEO sees it and thinks "We need one of those" but being a CEO he doesn't watch the whole ad to see that it is a joke because he "hasn't got time".

Me!
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Yea, are they online?

(too lazy even for Google... have to have coffee...)

Dimitri.
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Those IBM commercials are just great, are they not?

I love the Universal Business Adapter commercial.

The time machine one is also great. You can view these commercials at IBM web site.

Check out:

http://www-3.ibm.com/e-business/doc/content/ondemand/tvspot.html

I really do enjoy good commercials, and IBM has some of the best out there.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@msn.com

Albert D. Kallal
Thursday, April 24, 2003

You know, thinking about it, those ads really are brilliant.
Why? Because they don't target CEO's - they target US. We look at those ads and think "hey, they get it"

CEO's are already sold on IBM business services - we're the ones that are the stumbling blocks that try to talk the boss out of hiring them. By running ads that reflect the dilbertisms in the world, they're hoping we would be more amenable or even recommend IBM when we're in a position to be asked.

Pretty smart. I'm not falling for it. [grin]

Philo

Philo
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Oh, I adore IBM (except for the Evil Patent Lawyers).  I just wouldn't buy anything from them. :-)  I mean, who wants to blow $40,000 on a broken enterprise application, and $375/hour on Global Services to fix it?  I know this makes sense for businesses with (1) lots of money and (2) good reasons to distrust their in-house IT staff, but damn, that's a lot of money to spend on a database app/queuing system/workflow thingy/flavor of the week.  Better to hire a top-flight, trustworthy CIO.

Never mind.  Maybe the price is reasonable, after all.

J. Random Hacker
Thursday, April 24, 2003

I don't see those commercials hawking IBM products so much as IBM shares.

I think we all remember just how much value speculation can add to a company's net worth...probably scales of magnitude moreso than actual increased productivity.

The Word
Monday, April 28, 2003

Anyone who has tried Sauza tequila would say,

"Life is Harsh, your Tequila shouldn't be from Sauza"

Jacob Aalfs
Wednesday, February 18, 2004

the actor in the IBM adds....can't place him but he looks familiar...any one know what else he has been in???

Michael MacTavish
Sunday, March 28, 2004

Thank you Google! Thank you IBM!

Seriously, IBM commercials are the best out there, especially their latest ones...heck, I was considering e-mailing IBM with a request for a DVD of their newest commercials...but thank you for the site address.

Zoogies!
Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Gaah who is the actor that plays the CEO?  I swear I have seen him as a bad guy in dozens of early-90's action films.  Bad ones.

Cash
Monday, July 05, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home