Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Internet cache

I need  the best software that can read IE cache and manage them (save,delete....) and show me the cache
and i can choose the website that i would save from cache to hard disk.

Ghost
Tuesday, April 22, 2003

If you are worried about cache being saved on your computer then delete the temporary internet files at the end of the session.

Use Tools|Options to set the disk cache to zero.

If you are really paranoid you will need to do seven wipes with the delete, and also ensure that the paging file is wiped clean seven times over each time the machine starts. And make sure you have hibernation turned off.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Mozilla

Nat Ersoz
Tuesday, April 22, 2003

I've read that even clearing your Temporary Internet Files is not adequate to "wipe" your tracks. There is rumored to be some sort of system-wide IE cache in the c:\windows directory.

runtime
Tuesday, April 22, 2003

The pages will be wiped out, although obviously easily recoverable until written over.

There's still the cookie trail, the history list, and I suspect that there are some other references to the URL's visited.

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, April 23, 2003

Every link clicked is stored in a *.dat file that the system wont let you erase.

Eric DeBois

This is presumably for the history funtion to work.

I would presume you could simply open the offending  file in notepad and erase all the data, or substitute suitably brownie-point-gaining URL's.

As search for *.dat will bring all the files up.

Stephen Jones

The file is locked and cannot be erased.

R. C.

Index.dat is a directly of cached files to speed loading.  When you clear your history or your cache, it be not be cleared.  The data in it will, however, eventually be overwritten with new data on cached files and history.

The site http://www.markusjansson.net/eienbid.html#indexdat has several methods to remove it.  For 2000/XP the simplest is to put a command file in your startup folder.  The contents of the file aren't malicious:

cd %homedrive%%homepath%
rd /s/q cookies
rd /s/q locals~1\history
rd /s/q locals~1\tempor~1

For Win98/ME you have to edit the registry and some other ugly crap.  I once made the mistake of overwriting the file in Win98 and it corrupted my whole system.  I had to re-install windows and everything.

Veruca Salt

I think ppl have missed out the main question here.

He wants to 'manage' his cache (like extracting info of particular site from cache, delete cache for particular site etc.) instead of just plainly clearing the cache.

I think such a tool will be really great! I don't know of any!

Any one has bright ideas?

JD

JD
Thursday, April 24, 2003

Check out IECookiesView from http://nirsoft.multiservers.com/utils/iecookies.html

John Topley
Thursday, April 24, 2003

yes I want what JD said
and there is like software but it is old version and not
good enough ,it is html Convertor
form http://htmlconv.da.ru/
but the last version is since two years ago and
it is free ,so if there is such one free
it should be a more powerful new one.
Ghost

Ghost
Friday, April 25, 2003