Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Thoughts on Amazon Associate links?

I've added a book list to the CAMEL, and used my Amazon Associate account on the links. For those who don't know, Amazon has an associate program where you sign up, build links on your web pages, then get a percentage on any sales generated from the links (the items cost the same to the user).

I've seen complaints about people putting these kinds of links in the past, but I don't understand the complaints. Does anyone here object to this kind of thing? If so, why?

Philo

Philo
Monday, April 21, 2003

Philo,

As I recall, the complaints were about a glowing review of some software with a link that would have provided a nice sized commission. The issue was that the link was not identified as an affiliate link and thus cast doubt upon the integrity of the glowing review.

The discussion also touched on amazon links, with the idea being that people knew about the affilate thing and the commission is rather modest so it seemed less a conflict.

anon
Monday, April 21, 2003

I'm okay with Associates links. I actually participated and got paid about $75 or $80 before I decided to stop using it (I was writing reviews of CDs and linking to the CD on Amazon with my Associates account).

Sad but true story: some of the technical book authors have said that they if they make a sale through Associates, Amazon gives them more money than the publisher.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, April 21, 2003

I use the assoicates program for their web services bit. I am guessing it is the same if u want to write a review.

Prakash S
Monday, April 21, 2003

I haven't seen (m)any complaints.

pb
Monday, April 21, 2003

The only thing that annoys me about them, is that they only link to amazon.com, or amazon.co.uk. Being english, I buy my books from .co.uk, but I can't 'affliate-buy' through Joel because it takes me to .com.

Mr Jack
Tuesday, April 22, 2003

I'm in the U.S. but I buy a fair number from .co.uk, because they tend to have better prices on those computer books which are also used as textbooks; some are half as much (though still brand new) on .co.uk as they are on .com.  Even with shipping charges it's cheaper.

Fortunately books don't have region codes.

Kyralessa
Wednesday, April 23, 2003

I'm the opposite for one off computer books I tend to use Uk firms (either Amazon.co.uk or compman.co.uk ). For large orders (6 books plus) which I tend to do once or twice a year I've found bookpool.com (even after an extortiant dhl delivery charge) to be cheaper.

Ben Thompson
Thursday, April 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home