Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Editor for Windows to display code in tree?

Hi,

UltraEdit is my favorite editor, but I wondered if someone knew of an editor that could display source code in a tree-like fashion to make it possible to collapse the entire content, and just expand such and such sub/func, or such and such control block inside a routine.

In other words, I'm looking for an editor that would include the functionality that Lynx Project Explorer provides but inside the code window itself: www.zippety.net .

Thx :-)

Frederic Faure
Sunday, April 20, 2003

Microsoft Visual Studio .NET offers structure tree views for source code (C#, C++, VB.NET) and HTML/XML documents, and also allows you to collapse code elements (functions, classes, comments) to their definitions right in the editor window.

Chris Nahr
Sunday, April 20, 2003

JEdit has a very nice folding feature that can either work in the background, allowing you to fold any code block (which can either be a set of matching braces in java/c/etc, or a set of matching tags in xml/html documents), or you can explictly create folds in any document.

That's aside from JEdit being a wonderful text editor, and an equally wonderful IDE once you get a proper set of plugins chosen from the 100's that are available....

Chas
Sunday, April 20, 2003

SlickEdit

Sunday, April 20, 2003

CodeWright

sgf
Sunday, April 20, 2003

SciTE

Giovanni Corriga
Sunday, April 20, 2003

Also note that SciTE is open source and cross platform.

P.S: SciTE has had this "tree view" for code for almost as long as it exists - I think that 4 years or so. It started life more or less as an editor for Python, and Python makes this feature extremely natural.

Ori Berger
Sunday, April 20, 2003

Intellij IDEA: Ctrl+Shift+NumPad+/-
(View->Folding)

Genie
Monday, April 21, 2003

GNU Emacs has lots of feature including the folding one... Based upon your language, it has ability to auto-fold the functions and subs etc.. You can also use the  follow mode where you can see 8- windows on screen simultaneously. There is also narrow-mode where you can only see certain part of the code.  Worth exploring..

It's for Windows/Unix/Linux

artist
Monday, April 21, 2003

Ultraedit itself has support for folding text (View->Show/Hide Lines or Ctrl-Subtract (on numkeypad)).

There are macros floating around which will automatically fold all the source in a file when opened.

Sanjay Sheth
Tuesday, April 22, 2003

For powerbasic macros, you can start at
http://www.darkunicornproductions.com/ultrablitz/

Sanjay Sheth
Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Vim for Windows can do folding too :)

Ivan
Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Thx much everyone for the generous input :-)

To sum things up:
- MS VS.Net
- SlickEdit
- Intellij IDEA: Ctrl+Shift+NumPad+/-
- Ultraedit with CTRL + "-" sign (or through macro)
- CodeWright
- JEdit
- SciTE
- Emacs        
- Vim for Windows

SciTE was what I was looking for, but it sometimes goofs up with PowerBasic source files (guess I should look into updating its config files to support PB in addition to VB.)

Will try to get demos for the commercial solutions.

Frederic Faure
Tuesday, April 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home