Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Making 'small money', with 'small software'?

A freelance colleague of mine, has made a very simplistic french-tutoring application for the pocket pc. He's selling this software for a few dollars on the internet. Over the last few months he sold 6000 copies of it, mainly in the US. Now these are not amounts which can make you a living, but it's a nice 'extra'.

My question is: Who else on this forum does this and what is your experience with this?

Gumuz
Friday, April 18, 2003

I've created a MIDI patch editor/librarian utility for the Roland D-50 synthesizer, I've sold a view hundred copies worldwide in the past 5 years.

LeLoup
Friday, April 18, 2003

6000 @ $5, $10, $15... ??

Unless he's giving it away, sounds like a living to me.

Friday, April 18, 2003

I sold a piece of software on the web for $15, and all told, made about 2 dozen sales (this was back around 96 and 97, though, so the net wasn't quite the juggernaut it is now).

It's hit or miss, and I'm sure success depends heavily on what kind of niche you fill and how good you are about getting the word out.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, April 18, 2003

You can always sell something you get off sourceforge.net as long as you send the license too. Oh yeah, offer tech support and make a nice web page.

Tom Vu
Friday, April 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home