Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

vagaries of GRE for cs grad school?

First time I gave GRE  Verbal -540 Quant -730
now it's Verbal -490 and quant -790
Should I report the second score? Also just got my 3rd reject from grad school and am really wandering if my 3.52 gpa is enough to get in.

Sumit
Thursday, April 17, 2003

Submit both.

Keep applying.

Eclectic Echidna
Thursday, April 17, 2003

Sumit,

It's not upto you, ETS will report all scores for the past 5 years.

Prakash S
Thursday, April 17, 2003

Where is your undergrad degree from and what did you major in?

Pavel Levin
Friday, April 18, 2003

I don't even think GRE's are a big deciding factor for most schools.  I believe the letters of recommendation have a much higher weight along with the GPA.

I'm surprised that with a 3.52 GPA you didn't get accepted anywhere. What schools were they? Are these highly selective, top 10 schools (CMU, MIT, etc) or middle tier schools?

Nick
Friday, April 18, 2003

I graduated from Dalhousie University in Canada with a BS in cs in 2001, this year I applied to -

WRIGHT STATE UNIVERSITY ,NJIT(spring) AND FIT(spring) in US and
Dal,York,Queens,Simon Fraser, and Manitoba in Canada.
Rejected by Queens,Simon Fraser and Manitoba.Waiting on the others, but getting rather jittery.

Sumit
Friday, April 18, 2003

this is the pattern I have noticed:

lot of ppl who have been laid off join the MS/ PhD program, not to mention the ppl who already have a PhD who join as profs (thess guys are laid off too) , they get the ppl who work under them as grad students to whichever school they go to/

Applicants to grad school have gone up considerably, wouldn't be suprised if you are competing against 2500 others for a spot in NJIT...

all the luck..

Prakash S
Friday, April 18, 2003

you MUST get FEEDBACK!

ASK the schools what you can do to IMPROVE your application.

Adcoms will tell you why you didn't make the cut.

Friday, April 18, 2003

yes, just ask. also, you are applying toschools where everyone just sends in applications, so the school just randomly chops out applications. the REAL way to get into grad school is to go work at a really good school as a grunt programmer for some research PhD. THEN you just use him to slide into the graduate program.

Also, I grew up near Winnipeg; you don't want to go there. ;-)

choppy
Friday, April 18, 2003

I used to work in the Graduate admissions office for CS at the University of Florida when I was in college.  GREs do count, but only as one part of the equation (as others have mentioned).  Each school probably weights each category differently (ie. - GPA, letters of req, GRE).

I would *highly* recommend contacting the graduate department.  They will walk you through the minimum requirements.  Another big plus would be to actually visit the school and meet with the Graduate Coordinator (who is responsible for admissions).  That could be key if you are on the border line.

One other thing, you GRE scores will probably be averaged together.  Back when I was accepting people, an average of 1200 to 1300 on the GRE was enough to get you in (give or take).  But now I am sure it is more competitive.

Good Luck.

Tom Davies
Friday, April 18, 2003

I know people on the graduate admissions committees at Dalhousie and U of T.

GRE means very little in Canada. The reputation of your school means a lot. Fortunately for you Dalhousie is on of the better second tier schools.

For the US your GPA is low, you'd be supprised how many morons from third rate schools have 4.0.

At Dal' it matters enormously where you went: 3.3 from U of T will get you in, while 4.3 from York is dog shit.

I can tell you that at U of T even a 2.3 will get you in if a professor will vouch for you.

Frankly I'm suprised that York rejected you, while they pretend to be a first tier school they are really near the bottom of second tier and the CS department is at best third rate.

Two suggestions: first visit the schools if you can get a professor interested in you your in, do some research the collection of schools your applying to looks pretty random to me.

Anonymous Coward
Friday, April 18, 2003

I disagree with the statement that 3.5 is low for USA for CS grad school. you can get into anywhere in the US with pretty much any GPA. the top 5 engineering schools it matters far less what your GPA is than if you did anything interesting as an undergraduate. anything below the top 10, it doesn't really matter what your GPA is, either; the standards for admission are low. the opportunities for someone with a master's from iowa state aren't much more than someone with a BS from iowa state, so the only people in the master's department are foreigners who are primarily there to maintain their visas.

choppy
Friday, April 18, 2003

Annonymous coward -
what are my chances at Dal? Does going there for undergrad help my in the aplication?

Sumit
Friday, April 18, 2003

Did you impress any of your professors while you were there?

Did you take the "tough" courses or the "bird" courses? Its their university they will know.

Did you do anything interesting on the side? Minor in math, linguistics, cognition?

Was that 2nd year philosophy course on Marxism, ancient Judaism, feminism, or many-valued and modal logics?

On the last day of class did they say "have a good life" or "see you in grad school"?

Professors usually scout their classses for good prospects so think back.

Anonymous Coward
Saturday, April 19, 2003

Annonymous,
yeah I took more than required number of cs courses.Took advanced courses on Comp. Arch, Comp.Networks and software engg.
I did reasonably well in 2 of the toughest courses
OS -A-
Algorithms -A-
I also completed my degree in 6 semesters taking loads of 5-6 cs courses per sem. although I doubt that would be a factor.

Sumit
Saturday, April 19, 2003

Oh, I also took some grad courses as an undergrad -
Business of E-commerce and advanced networks...

Sumit
Saturday, April 19, 2003

I live in Russia and plan to go to graduate school in US. I'm curious if universities have "affirmative" policy for US citizens. So to speak wether they discriminate against foreign applicants. If yes, wether the same goes for people from all countries, i.e. same chances to get in for people from Germany, India, China or Russia.

Thanks.

smm
Saturday, April 19, 2003

As far as I know: Nationality is not a factor in considering an applicant.

The reason you have so many students from China, India, Russia - is beacuse the number of people applying from these countries is a lot, as high as 10 times the number of people who would actually go to grad school..

Prakash S
Saturday, April 19, 2003

Why did you not apply to U of Alberta?

Back when I just finished my B.S., I applied to several Canadian University and only U of Alberta accepted me.

Its CS school is very good.

Rick Tang
Thursday, May 01, 2003

And the Prof who would supervise me is from my undergraduate university.

So I guess I was a little bit lucky.

Rick Tang
Thursday, May 01, 2003

Hi all,
I am an Indian Student currently in my final year Bachelors in Chem Engg from the Indian Institute of Technology. Have applied to Univs in Canada for Masters -Fall 2004.
Havenot as yet heard from the admissions committee their decision about my file.

Could anyone please  through light on as to what is the normally expected time to hear from the Univs in Canada?

Thanks

Univs Applied to:
University of Toronto
U of Alberta
U of British Columbia
McMaster University

mahajan
Wednesday, March 17, 2004

I am doing my B.tech from Indian Institute Of Technology... I'd like to ask what is the repuation of this school in US and how much does  it actually matter that from which institute you did your Undergraduate studies from.

himanshu
Thursday, June 24, 2004

I have a small query friends.
I have read in the gre official bulletin that there really are scholarships offered by public institutions and universities in the us based on your gre score.
Could anyone have an idea if this is so?
Any details would be welcome.
Thanks for reading this anyway

ashutosh

Ashutosh Atri
Friday, July 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home