Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Ergonomics

With being a part of a software dev team comes pressure & stress, probably like with most jobs. Does anyone know or practice any ergonomics at their workplace. I'm most interested in hearing about yoga & meditation - what kind of excerices do you practice and how does/has it affect(ed) you?

EastIndian
Thursday, April 17, 2003

I thought ergonomics was just the study between humans and the equipment they use, and not stuff like Yoga and meditation.

At my workplace, we practice EGOnomics. A few big ones here I can tell you. :)

tapiwa
Thursday, April 17, 2003

I use StretchWare at work.  We have a site liscense for it.  http://www.stretchware.com/  It nags me every hour to do some basic stretches of my wrists, neck, and back.  You can of course set how often it nags you, and what stretches it tells you to do.  I think it works pretty well, but I need a new chair more than anything...  (I'm getting one soon)

Andrew Hurst
Thursday, April 17, 2003

Clicking on your link gave a 404 error... The space after it got included

http://www.stretchware.com/

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, April 17, 2003

A great exercise for computer users:

Get yourself a set of juggling balls and go outside for 15 minutes every three hours or so and teach yourself how to juggle.  This is good for your back, shoulders and eyes and you will keep doing it because it is interesting and fun unlike stretches.

Simon Tzu
Thursday, April 17, 2003

"[tapiwa] I thought ergonomics was just the study between humans and the equipment they use, and not stuff like Yoga and meditation."

Ergonomics - The branch of engineering science in which biological science is used to study the relation between workers and their environments.

EastIndian
Friday, April 18, 2003

Meditation, yoga ( and juggling? ) are all internal relations and should not be linked with the interactions between you and your environment ( which is closer to ergonomics ).  The word "ergonomics" has been used for the relationship of our bodies with our chairs, monitors, etc. ( and, of course, in other areas such as how we fit into a car, airplane, etc. ).  So many words have been misused over the years that we shouldn't contribute to more of it.  Googling on "ergonomics" is not likely to get you much on meditation.
I DO think, though that sitting at a desk all day without stretching, walking around some ( or juggling ) will be bad for you, physically, in the long run, so move as often as you can!

Barry Sperling
Friday, April 18, 2003

I purchased a sit-stand table for my home office three years ago so I can alternate between sitting and standing while continuing to work. Standing is quite healthy for your body and makes you feel much better than sitting all day. I probably stand 3-4 hours a day. Looking for a cheap way of equivalent ergonomics at my contract job (lugging in an $800, 200 lb sit-stand desk is not practical). Built a wood box and brought it in-but I think the old style drafting tables might be the way to go. Any other ideas out there?

Mike Sivertsen
Friday, April 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home