Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Job offer

I have been jobless in the states for around 7 months, I did a phone interview with a company in the states, having their development offices in India.The position is in India, and the pay is in rupees.I think the job is a quality one, the only thing is,any savings I make won't be of much value when I come back to states, it's mostly the experience.
What would others do in my situation? I have never worked in India before.

Sanjit
Tuesday, April 15, 2003

All else being equal, take it for the experience of seeing more of the world.    Even if you come back without any more money, you'll have the experience, and you'll have seen India.  :)

PS:  Hopefully they'll fly you out there, etc.

aa
Tuesday, April 15, 2003

unfortunately not

Sanjit
Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Yeah, if the experience is good, or if you think your current living situation becomes untenable, then go for it.

Also, consider what it will be like re-entering the job market in your current location once you've been doing this for a while. How easy will it be?

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Be careful.

If they're not serious enough to fly you out, they're probably not serious enough to honour commitments or do the right thing if there's a problem when you get there.

Taka
Tuesday, April 15, 2003

They are paying weeks expenses before I can find a place there

Sanjit
Tuesday, April 15, 2003

>>> They are paying weeks expenses before I can find a place there

I really hope you forgot to include (a really big) number before "weeks" and don't mean that they are paying only *one* weeks expenses!

Taka
Tuesday, April 15, 2003

If they're not willing to pay for you to fly there, that's a pretty bad sign, I think.  It means they have *no commitment* at all to making it work.  They offer a job, and if it doesn't work, they lose nothing while you lose everything.  If they pay to fly you out there, they won't do it so lightly.  Be careful.

aa
Tuesday, April 15, 2003

I should perhaps explain a bit more.

I'm not saying don't do it. Working overseas is an absolutely fantastic experience and if you get the chance, you should definitely take it.

But you need to be careful. Having a company offering you a job but not be willing to pay to fly you out and is only paying one week's expenses is setting yourself to be screwed over big time. What happens if you get there and they say that you're not what they wanted? Or they decide to slash your pay? You're in a very difficult position.

I don't know if you've been there (or anywhere overseas) before but getting yourself set up in a week is a big ask. You have to really hit the ground running to find a place to stay (in the right area), get furniture, find out how the buses work, etc. And if you don't get it done in a week, you'll have to do it *and* juggle a *new* job at the same time!

So, by all means, do it but take care. Don't spend $1000's get there and setting yourself up because you could lose it all. But if got friends or family over there or don't mind treating it as a holiday if things don't work out then there's less risk. But after 7 months out of work, I'm sure money's a bit tight :-)

Taka
Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Taka, should I ask for relocation? I did not talk about it.
I just want to get back to dev. work, after 7 months!
I have family around , so should not be a problem, although finding a place might.

Sanjit
Wednesday, April 16, 2003

It can't hurt to ask.

As far as I can tell, the way things stand now, the company holds all the cards and you are in a position where you have to trust them to do the right thing. Developers are dime-a-dozen these days and if you cause them even the slightest bit of trouble, it would be so easy for them to dump you and get someone else. Even when things were good, it's just not good business to blindly trust others. In a case like this, even a contract is not worth much. If they renege, can you afford to pursue it?

The first thing I would be asking is why are they hiring you? Can't they find someone locally who is cheaper, knows the language and culture and can start tomorrow?

The important thing is to protect yourself in case things go wrong. If you don't mind not having a job after having shelled out money to get yourself there because you can visit your folks and do some travelling, then it's not so much of a risk. But if it's going to wipe you out financially to the point where you can't afford a ticket back home, then obviously you need to be very careful.

Working overseas is a great opportunity and it's going to be really hard to say no but if they're going to mess you around, or could, it's probably not worth the risk.

Taka

Taka,
Financially it costs around 1000 U.S for a plane ticket, so that's an acceptable expense for me, I'd  have to do the same to visit family.
Regarding pay, I think pay is on par with the other people with my experience in India.I was hired after a long 4 hour technical test.Company said they only hire the best...blabla
They even hired a few people locally, and financially the company is doing fine.
Whatever it is,hopefully it will be a good experience!

Sanjit

Sounds and smells fishy to me.

Prakash S

Why is it fishy?

Sanjit

$1000 for one-way?  If you're under 25, you can visit STA Travel or similar agency and get a youth travel card.  This will reduce your fares by at least half.

anon

I am from the US and have worked in Japan and Europe. The experience was semi interesting, however I would have had a lot better time if I had been in japan and europe on vacation. Working overseas in a development role == seeing the office parks of the world.

Returning to the states, no one really cared about me having any sort of overseas experience.

how much money will you make, and what do you want to do with your life? the salaries I have seen for indian development positions are terrible when you convert them to US dollars. Even if you are maintaining a decent standard of living in India, there seems to be a good chance that you will end up getting stuck there. However, that might be ok with you.

choppy

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home