Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

bad decisions on competing offers?

Brooding about my luck, couple years back had offers from 2 places, an old established firm, and a startup, I took the firm because of stability and the pay being 7 K higher.But I ended up geting laid off from this firm ,and now found the startup among Canada's top 30 innovative companies!
Got back to the startup, but their demands have now changed, and got rejected from a phone interview.

R.S.
Monday, April 14, 2003

There is no stability in this industry if you are really doing something. If you are only getting by on inertia and a brand name then I guess an established firm's management position is good. But if you are innovating then it's a small, smart, entreprenurial shop. This goes for all industries; not just IT.

J. White
Monday, April 14, 2003

Things go on sale after you buy them. Stocks go up when you decide not to buy. It happens to everything. Don't worry about it: move on.

Case in point, a few years ago I looked at NVIDIA's stock. It went from $16 (when I looked at it) to $160 and split. I didn't buy it.

Dwelling on might-have-beens is never worthwhile. How do you know the startup wouldn't have laid you off? If their needs changed, how do you know you would have been needed? Or that the person responsible for the success was the one hired after you declined?

You can follow the chain of could haves as far as you want. If you want to stress over the past, go ahead. Don't worry about missed opportunities; there's always another around the corner.

Mike Swieton
Tuesday, April 15, 2003

"and now found the startup among Canada's top 30 innovative companies!"

As others have already mentioned, I wouldn't put too much stock in the above statement.

I worked at a few companies that were rated as one of the best places to work (or only the IT department had received such a rating) and I can tell you that "your perspective" about a company depends on what type of work you are doing.

One Programmer's Opinion
Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Mike,
Human nature also filters out the bad decisions b/c they are not "what if's"  I'm sure you also looked at 10 other stocks that trade at $0 today.  Of course, you don't dwell on those "missed opportunities" however.

Bella
Tuesday, April 15, 2003

In 2000, I accepted a job offer from a big corporate IT department instead of an offer from an innovative startup writing AI software to tutor mathematics.  The latter was a dream job; I'd have been working with a leading professor in the field, using bleeding edge stuff to solve problems that excite the heck out of me.  Instead, now I write stupid corporate software for stupid people and my life force is being sucked out by the great corporate entity which has assimilated me. 

But the software company went under a year and a half later, and the IT job paid twice what the cool job paid.  To this day I wonder whether my decision was an incredibly good, or an incredibly bad one.

anon
Wednesday, April 16, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home