Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Portuguese Accents

I built a weblog for my Brazilian wife in ASP. But the computer that she uses does not have a Portuguese keyboard, making the inserting of accents a real chore.

Does anyone know of any desktop software or VBScript code that could take her Portuguese and insert the accents automatically?

Thanks.

Yoav
Monday, April 14, 2003

Word?

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, April 14, 2003

I am not at a Win box at the moment, but iirc, there is a keyboard control panel. You can go into it and change the keyboard layout to something else, e.g. portuguese 8-}

Mike Swieton
Monday, April 14, 2003

http://www.klm.freeservers.com/index.html

dk
Monday, April 14, 2003

Are Portugese accents the same as Spanish? If so she just has to type things like "leedle" instead of "little". HTH ;-)

Monday, April 14, 2003

Yoav,

If you have a "US international" keyboard (the one with a tilde over TAB), you can configure Windows to understand key combinations like 'e=é and ^o=ô in the Keyboard applet of the Control Panel.

In the "Input Locales" tab, Add Portuguese(Brazil) and select as the Keyboard Layout "United States-International". You may need to find your installation CD for Windows to load a couple of files.

It's easy indeed, when you know what to look for.

Abraços!

Marcos Rubinelli
Monday, April 14, 2003

All you need to do is to add a second keyboard configuration to the computer where the data will be typed.

Example:
Control Panel > Keyboard > Input Locales
You add one with Portuguese "Input Language" and
US "Keyboard Layout".

When she needs portuguese she sets the new config as active or default.

To type accented characters she needs to combine deadkeys
like acute with characters like "e" for example: é

You can find more help at:
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/bylanguage/portuguese.html

Cheers

Joao
Monday, April 14, 2003

Muito obrigado. (Thank you.)

Yoav
Monday, April 14, 2003

Then you type out in a Word Processor the upper case keyboard in 36 point or higher, and do the same underneath for the lower case.

Then you print the sheet out and keep in on a stand near the monitor, so that when your wife is using the Portugueese as opposed to the US layout she can see immediately which letters go where.

I have the Catalan keyboard layout on a sheet of paper on my physical desktop.

Stephen Jones
Monday, April 14, 2003

If you use the alternate keyboard layout enough, write the alternate letters on the front of the keys, either on little labels (removable) or with a Sharpie (mostly permanent). The front is better than the top because typing can rub off anything written on or attached to the top of the keys.

Martha
Tuesday, April 15, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home