Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Higher-end headphones review on msnbc.com

http://www.msnbc.com/news/897703.asp?0si=-

Funniest line: "The cables sounded good, but only when the connectors stayed plugged in."

Has anyone here used any of these headphones in an office?

dmooney
Thursday, April 10, 2003

I personally wouldn't want to take my high end headphones to my office.
I use a set of Sony Fontopia earbuds at the office, they sound great and block out all external sound, which is great for getting into "the zone"
They are still a little expensive ~$80, but worth it.

ZiggaDigga
Thursday, April 10, 2003

I use Sennheiser HD 570s at work and I love them (and I've never had a problem with the cord coming unplugged).

I think that if you listen to music much at work, you really should spend some money on good headphones. Not just for the sound quality, but because they tend to be much more comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Bill Tomlinson
Thursday, April 10, 2003

Circuit City is now carrying the Sony Fontopia's, and they're only $49. I picked up a pair and am very impressed. These are the first sealed in-ear type I've used and I'd never use anything else again. They're great for work in the office becuase they are so quiet and comfortable, and they stay in place nicely at the gym.

I haven't yet tried the higher-end units of this design, but I'm looking forward to it. Until then, and especially at this price, these are perfect for my uses.

JWA
Thursday, April 10, 2003

the Sennheiser HD 580 or was it 570  the 600's are available at amazon for insanely low prices.. if u are a big Sennheiser fan, this would be a good time to get them        

Prakash S
Thursday, April 10, 2003

After looking into it a bit, I think I should clarify. I didn't realize that Fontopia was the whole line of Sony in-ear headphones. I thought that was the name of the actual model I was refering to.

The model that I recently bought and was raving about is the MDR-EX51LP. It's a closed-type in ear headphone, basically their version of the Etymotic and Sure designs.

Here's a link: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=dZI657twYzM62oXljQUw7PR-MunscqI4cHM=?CatalogCategoryID=wJQKC0%2eNSXsAAAD0wDE6ymyy&ProductID=nuAKC0%2eNEB4AAAD03fs6ymy2&Dept=pa

JWA
Thursday, April 10, 2003

Yeah, I've used a pair of Grado SR60s for a few years now (with a Creek OBH 11 headphone amp and a TEAC PD-H300 CD player) as my desktop Hi-Fi.  It is superbly relaxing to have a real hi-fi sound at work.

Matt
Friday, April 11, 2003

I have been using a set of Pro-Luxe PRO40s for about four years now.  Great sound, and fairly good sound isolation for blocking out the surrounding environment.  Fairly cheap as well.

!
Friday, April 11, 2003

While we're on this subject, I've been using my Grado SR80's for a while now and have been very happy with them.

I'm a musician & home recording studio owner.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, April 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home