Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Popular COM PRNG wrappers

At work we are evaluating the use of Persits' AspEncrypt tool, although it is everything we wanted and more out of
a wrapper around the Microsoft cryptographic services... we notice it doesn't support returning pseudo random numbers in the current version. So, is there any workarounds? Any suggestion on free or near free ActiveX components
that basically just gives back good pseudo random numbers? We prefer stable and popular wrappers over full implementations. Your help is much appreciated! Any related URLs would be appreciated too. Thanks yall :-)

Li-fan Chen
Thursday, April 10, 2003

We intend to use it to feed the initialization vectors of various shared key ciphers. We'll also need it when our software decides to expire old shared secrets.

Any com objects that accesses the PRNG or RNG facilities in Intel chips or inherent in Windows' "Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic Provider v1.0" would also be very much appreciated.

In general, we love to have all these com objects be able to translate Hex <-> Base64 <-> Plaintext <-> Byte arrays. Persits spoiled us.

Li-fan Chen
Thursday, April 10, 2003

http://www.random.org/cgi-bin/randnum?num=100&min=1&max=100&col=1

I'm somewhat kidding as I don't know what their policy is on being used as a "web service" (obviously programmatically it would be trivial to pull random numbers from that site when needed), however theoretically those numbers are truly random rather than pseudo random.

Dennis Forbes
Friday, April 11, 2003

I really enjoy the CGI program you posted, and I am trying some of the articles written by the PHd.. they are really helpful :-)

Li-fan Chen
Friday, April 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home