Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Why read the forum when Joel does not

I read this forum once or twice a month.

But why participate if Joel does not.

If he does not feel they could learn from us, why do we think we could learn something here?

Being possible to ask this question might as well be the reason.

Rick Tang
Monday, April 07, 2003

Joel does participate, but not nearly as frequently as others do.

Brad (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, April 07, 2003

Joel was #32 last month, as far as I can tell...

http://www.usabilitymustdie.com/jos/WW_TopPosters_Mar_2003.html

And #10 of all time...

http://www.usabilitymustdie.com/jos/WW_All_Members.html

ODN
Monday, April 07, 2003

I'm not here for Joel.

Nat Ersoz
Monday, April 07, 2003

I'm here for Gavin von Schnitzelbaum.

Geoff Bennett
Monday, April 07, 2003

Rick,

Do you always do stuff depending on what other's do or other's think......

Joel is just a part of what makes this forum interesting, there are interesting issues raised, and different perspectives from lots of people.

Go figure....

Dan
Monday, April 07, 2003

That is a really cool site (the usability one).  I sat for a second wondering how someone could have those stats, then I figured that they must have a software agent read the page.

The only thing I'm still wondering is how he got old posts, or if it [the agent] has just been running for a while.  I don't see a Fog Creek interface for this.

Also, if this were un-authorized is it considered stealing?  Being a programmer, I instinctively hate gray areas like that.  I guess it's really up to the content holder and how much they want to complain (remember Ebay vs Bidder's Edge?)

To the question of why read the forums, the answers:

A.) You want to communicate with people who share common interests.  Yes there are plenty of places to do this on the net.  You may want to try one.

B.) Work is boring once you've figured out how to do something.  (Ok, I think I'm smart and I always get things done, but you have to take breaks, OK?)

C.) You would like to help somebody out regardless of what you get out of it.  If I can answer one person's question, invoke thought, or make someone laugh in my time here, I've done my job.

D.) It's Monday night, you can't work anymore and you don't want to watch TV and it just snowed and it's harsh outside.

That is all.

Wayne
Monday, April 07, 2003

Wayne,

Chris (usabilitymustdie) was conducting some kind of experiment, he updates his site every week or so..

Didn't hear back from Chris regd how his experiement went or did we?

Prakash S
Monday, April 07, 2003

Top 5 dumbest questions I've read on these boards.

Bill Gates doesn't read MSDN.

BFD.

pb
Tuesday, April 08, 2003

Maybe if he did they'd catch more of the documentation errors they have. ;)

And the horse you rode in on
Tuesday, April 08, 2003

I guess this is an example of 'eating your own dog food'. But I am not Joel. So even if he doesn't learn any here, I might.

There is so much to do and learn. And if you have a familiy, you have much more to do. So I need to decide how and where to spend my time (for example studying for my RHCE and Oracle exam, reading USENIX papers and Orielly.net articles ...)

Really, I think this is a good question. Why Joel does not spend too much time here; because he could learn more from some places else; because he could contribute more to someone else ...

The other reason, I believe, is there is so much happening here. If you come here less than once a week, you may not be able to participate in
topics you find interesting.

Oh, and why Bill Gates does not read MSDN? Because he knows all the answers!

Rick Tang
Tuesday, April 08, 2003

From what I remember, Joel's intent was initially to provide a place to talk about subjects raised in his articles.  Over time that intent seems to have broadened into being a high signal/noise place for tech/biz talk. 

As his business picks up pace he might have more demands on his time, hence the reduced participation mentioned by ODN above.

aa
Tuesday, April 08, 2003

Actually in my experience Joel and his team seam to read more of this forum than is good for them.

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, April 09, 2003

They don't need to reply to every single post -- just the ones that they find interesting or relevant.  I think it would suck if Joel and co. started to jump into every single conversation regardless of whether or not they have anything to say just to say something. 

I'd rather they voice their opinions whenever they're interested since that will generate a more thought provoking post to read.  The noise is already high enough in these forums.

HeyMacarana
Wednesday, April 09, 2003

I've seen them reply to plenty of posts. As for replying to only ones they find interesting and relevant, I'd say yes, alsmost as if they were real people ;-)

I'd also say that the closer to "topic" a post is, and especially if it's one that the fog creek folks started themselves, you certainly see them come out to play more.

Personally, I've always had a good reply when I've posted to the fogbugz and citydesk forums from one of these folks and that says to me they have their priorities entirely correct.

Robert Moir
Thursday, April 10, 2003

I update the stats once or twice a week.

I maintain a number of similar sets of data:
http://www.usabilitymustdie.com/statistics.htm

I am also interested in mapping the links between people in a specific 'community of interest':
http://www.usabilityviews.com/userati_joel_spolsky.html

I have a client program that I run when I want to update my stats. It will 'scrape' the appropriate pages and update my database. It then generates static html files that are ready to be published.

My attitude towards the 'theft' question is simple: If Joel asked me to stop scraping his site then I would stop. As I am not 'stealing' the data for any nasty reasons, people don't seem to mind.

Chris McEvoy
Thursday, April 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home