Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Thank you Joel

I've no real content to add at this stage, I just wanted to extend a warm hand of thanks to Joel.

I've spent a quiet couple of days reading the material here and it is awesome.  Finally I feel like someone understands my point of view as well as I do.

Thank you Joel for giving me the courage to continue my fight for a consistent and pleasant UI on the software we are developing, and for a repeatable development process.

Thanks.

Duncan
Monday, April 07, 2003

I agree.

This is one of the few sites that  I've gone back to read *all the content* in the archives.

Chi Lambda
Monday, April 07, 2003

Agreed as well.

I also read most of the content in the archive, and found it quite interesting. I don't agree with everything Joel says (naturally), but his articles are intersting, funny, though-provoking and sometimes enlightening.

I am a Linux user and open source developer, and an avid fan of the bash command line and command line tools, but still learned quite a lot from Joel. I do have a hard time getting my Linux friends to take Joel seriously. It doesn't help that when writing portable code for Linux and other UNIXes one faces entirely different issues, than writing code that is portable across all the versions of Windows. (which until I hit Joel's site, I believed should be straightforward). Usually, you can get good portability (if you know what you're doing) without too much fuss to your code, especially if you only write high-level GUI apps. I remember the "we just typed make" quote by the Informix engineer, that described what they did to port the Solaris version of the Informix lesser server to Linux. And a database server definetely qualifies as a tool that makes use of very complex UNIX mechanisms.

I once discussed Joel with someone. He said that he tends to agree much more with a couple of people that include the inventor of Forth, and some ex-NASA engineer who wrote the programs for the Apollo mission (in Forth on very substandard hardware in comparison to today). Apparently , these guys did not keep up with the times, and believe software should still be as minimalistic and not overengineered as possible. They still support either embedded software (real embedded not Linux/VxWorks/etc.) or VLSI chip design.

I agree that Joel did not do something as impressive as help put the man on the moon. But, OTOH I do appreciate working on a UNIX environment with a windowing system, a full-featured Internet, nice bells and whistles, high-level languages and all the memory I want and need. That's the 20/80 myth for you, and I think I use more than 20. So does my friend. So I think Joel is relevant to what I do.

Shlomi Fish
Monday, April 07, 2003

Another 'thank-you' to Joel.

I enjoy your writing but even more than that is the quiet work of forum moderation (not sure if you do it personally though?)  The moderation was mentioned a few times and then you explained what was going on in your article about creating forum software. 

Makes sense.

The really cool part?  This forum is very resistant to the usual problem faced by successful forums - with growth comes a much lowered signal to noise.  In summary, thank for the articles but a much bigger thank-you for a tech/biz forum that won't go to the dogs.

Cheers from Canadia.  :)

aa
Monday, April 07, 2003

I would like to add my praises to Joel.  Could you please send a 360 degree picture series?  I want to send a bronze statue. 

J/K :-P

Bryan Shaw
Tuesday, April 08, 2003

What I especially like about this place is the relative lack of chest thumping and pretense, and the relative thoughtfulness of the postings.  People that post here seem to generally think a lot about the bigger picture and how programming impacts the real world and the business world and vice versa. That's notoriously lacking in almost all BBS geek hangouts which resemble sandboxes.

Bored Bystander
Tuesday, April 08, 2003

Yet another "Thank You". This time, from the UK!

A good friend pointed me to Joel on Software some time ago, and I finally had the chance to sit down and read through the articles in the past few days.

I'm in my penultimate year doing an undergraduate computer science degree, and I plan to start a software company with a few friends when I graduate. Joel's articles, as well as Fog Creek have been a source of inspiration for me, and I have no doubt that my company will be modelled on the ideals preached *and* practiced by Joel.

Andy
Thursday, April 10, 2003

Yes. Thank you Joel.

Also, I wish to extend a thanks to the members of this forum for keeping it as intresting as it is bettwen the posting of essays from Joel.

Patrik
Thursday, April 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home