Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Download.com and the others like it.

I have been thinking about is it good to put my app on www.Download.com and the others sites offering the same services.

I noticed that people are giving rankings very randomly.
I checked if Joel has put CityDesk there and I found only the 1.0 version. Reading the comments I found they range from a very ignorant or angry to almost reverant ones.
But that was not the strange. I found that the overall rating sometimes was very different than what you may expect to see.
Let's take for example 'Microsoft Windows Installer'. You may suspect that it is a very neutral thing: it is free; you need it; and it works. But not according to the ratings :)
I found that the 9x/ME version was rated 77% and the 2k/NT version had 46%. Pretty strange for a software that is virtually the same.
Looking through the opinions I found TOO many negative reviewes. I suppose often people tend to exaggerate their problems saying something like 'constantly hanging' and 'never make it work'.
I am afraid that putting my software there I may get many negative reviewes that are either by ignorant users or by the concurrency.
What do you think about this?

------------------------
Boris Yankov
http://www.virtuza.com

Go on, prove me wrong, destroy the fabric of the universe, see if I care.

Boris Yankov
Sunday, April 06, 2003

It's the usenet effect - when you search for a product on usenet you will see overwhelmingly negative reviews, because people almost never just show up to a forum and post "this product is great and I love it"
(and often if they do they get accused of spamming)

That said, I almost never use download.com anymore, esp for programming tools. I look for recommendations on forums and I google.

Philo

Philo
Sunday, April 06, 2003

On Download.com you get one-day-fly types or fly-by types of people, interested to post (tag) their enoying paint-brush like texts.

Download.com is for me a resource for software, i tried to repley with descency but others ruin the effort.

For a really good review you should build your own, managed by good friends and PR'ed on a very novell way.

Starting at local areas, and increasing the radius of attention.

herodin
Sunday, April 06, 2003

You can take the reviews on download sites with a pinch of salt. Many of the positive reviews will be from the actual author and the negative from their competitors.

Tony E
Monday, April 07, 2003

I have a product listed on Download.com since 2 years. In the beginning, listing was free. But 6 months ago, they started to charge for updating or listing new products there (99$ is the cheapest package).
They promised to remove old software but all the good 95', 98', 99' versions of old unmaintained applications are still poisoning the directory.
Anyway, download.com can help you to be known provided that your program is good and interests the kind of people downloading software from that site (newbies, kids, people that are seeking for new shareware to test it, if it suits them, they will search the web for a crack or serial number).
I agree with your opinions on user's reviews, anyone can post anything. Download.com say they regulate posts but in 2 years, I've never seen them deleting an offeding post.
Conclusion: use it if you target a wide audiance, but avoid it if you have a product that requires technical knowledge.

dd
Monday, April 07, 2003

The ratings are useless. The best guage is "pop" and sorting by number of downloads for a given category or search. As cnet has tacked on more and more fees, the download.com service has become less useful. Unfortunately, the competitors, like Tucows, have very awkward sites.

pb
Monday, April 07, 2003

I think download sites are an irrevelance now. I haven't used one to find software for a long time. 

If I need some software, I Google for it.  I suspect I'm not alone.

In europe DooYoo ( http://www.dooyoo.com ) provides an excellent public review service.  I use this a lot, though not for software.  I think its a good example of how it should be done.

Ged Byrne
Tuesday, April 08, 2003

tucows.com changes its rating policy each 3 months. Besides, they will favor software whose authors pay to be listed. It is more or less the same as with download.com.
Notice also that tucows listing is getting obsolete because of this. New shareware and freeware titles are not listed there either because their authors hate the tucows way of behaving, or just because tucows staff is so busy to process their submission.

dd
Tuesday, April 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home