Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

New SQL Upgrade?

anyone know when the next version of SQL is going to be released by MSFT? 

for some reason, my bosses are under the impression from their distributor that there is a new version of SQL coming out in a few months... i'm under the impression that the latest is SQL 2000 SP3...

anyone what the story is?

just wondering
Friday, April 04, 2003

ok... so i got a little more info on my question.

i think what happened is that the distributor told my boss that since MSFT Advanced Server 2003 is comign out soon, that SQL Server 2003 will be released soon as well.  anyone know anything about this?  we have to renew our licenses... is there any reason we should buy a package that would include the upgrade for SQL 2003?  or are we better off jsut sticking to 2000 for the time being and wait until we have to renew our licenses next year?

just wondering
Friday, April 04, 2003

Nope, not in the next few months; if I had to guess, I would say the end of the year is probably closer to realistic. What makes me think this is that the SQL Server beta is going to be one of the prominently featured topics at the next PDC.

Brad (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, April 04, 2003

I was at a large DB seminar put on by MS and Unisys.  The Microsoft people told us:  There is a 64 bit version of SQL Server 2000 coming out in May, it is going to coincide with the rollout of Windows 2003 Server.  That may be what your boss is wetting his pants over.

Mike
Friday, April 04, 2003

The next version of SQL Server, aka Yukon, is expected out next year.  The beta may be available this summer.

Nick
Friday, April 04, 2003

well, in the event that they release 64-bit SQL Server, why would i be interested in upgrading right away? 

furthermore, woulnd't i have to upgrade to Advanced Server 2003 if i want to utilize the new 64-bit version?  Would i also need to upgrade the server machines? 

i'm getting the impression that no one here is in a hurry to upgrade... what's the timetable that most other poeple are considering for upgrading to 2003 and/or SQL Server 64-bit?

just wondering
Friday, April 04, 2003

The 64 bit version is for companies with large databases that are running out of scalability.  32 bit SQLServer with AWE and /3GB switches only goes so far.  Plus the olap tools are currently limited to 3 gigs of ram as well.  Particularily bad because your olap datasets are usually your biggies.  64 bit allows addressing much more ram without using an AWE or /3GB kludge.

If your company needed 64 bit SQL Server you would know it and know it coming out already.  Personally I am glad they will have the 64 bit version of Windows and SQL Server, but they are 5 years behind the Unix folks and DB vendors here.  I am glad our shop doesn't need this scalability yet.

At the seminar I was at the Microsoft person said MUCH of SP3 for SQL Server was undocumented fixes that make SQL Server more scalable when using more than 8 processors.  Unisys makes some very nice servers with up to 32 procs.  SQL Server wasn't scaling beyond 8 as well as it should have and MS addressed that. 

Mike
Friday, April 04, 2003

I'm in quite a hurry to upgrade to W2K3. The IIS upgrades, especially as they relate to ASP.NET, are reason enough. The security upgrades are icing on the cake. We don't run any 64-bit machines.

Yukon will feature prominent support for .NET. Almost everybody seems to agree that, at a minimum, you'll be able to write stored procs using .NET languages (so, objects with methods, pre-compiled, instead of interpreted SQL). I expect that there will be native support for stashing objects into tables and actually issuing calls against them. If they were smart, they would at least offer some sort of support for OODB.

Wish I was on the beta so I'd know for sure what was coming. :) Guess I'll have to wait until the PDC...

Brad (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, April 04, 2003

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/roadmap.asp

Looks like there is going to be a Visual Studio update in conjunction w/ Yukon's release. To me this would indicate 2004 since VS 2003 is just getting released.

dmooney
Friday, April 04, 2003

Well, If your running a SQL Server right now and if its not
powerfull enough, i dont think the 64 bit is going to save the day.

For Database Power ORACLE is the way to go.

In Software buying/upgrading, you must be smart in the
decision you are making.

Do YOU REALLY need to upgrade ?
If YOU DONT upgrade, are you going to lose enough money to pay back the upgrades within 1 year ?

The beauty of the 1 year pay back, its alot easier to budget within the same year and like that its alot more appeling to
the person approving the $$$ for the upgrades.

Nicholas Franks
Sunday, April 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home