Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Philo's Rule of Connectivity

The quickest way to break a solid internet connection is to publicly announce an available resource.

After 18 months of no downtime, last night my ISP had a router fail, so CAMEL is down for the nonce.

Philo

Philo
Thursday, April 03, 2003

Well, I believe someone (Joel himself?) mentioned recently in this forum that Joel averages something like 15,000 hits a day and much more than that when one of his articles gets mentioned on Slashdot.

Philo wrote, "The quickest way to break a solid internet connection is to publicly announce an available resource."

Disagree. IMO, your blog is unique and people such as myself are interested in reading the content you plan on supplying. In other words, content is king. The "build it, announce it, and they will come" philosophy doesn't work on the web anymore.

One Programmer's Opinion
Thursday, April 03, 2003

I believe Philo is making a humoristic remark, more related to Murphy's law than anything else. I doubt that this forum can lead as much traffic as slashdot.

Leonardo Herrera
Thursday, April 03, 2003

Yes, you're right, and I meant to say that - I wasn't trying to imply a slashdot effect, but rather stating that my internet connection went down.

Philo

Philo
Thursday, April 03, 2003

This is related to the law that your demo/presentation/application/what-have-you will work perfectly, until the Head Honcho comes to view it, at which point it will fail horribly.

It's also an inverse of the Mechanic Effect, whereby the thing that wasn't working will miraculously fix itself as soon as you bring in an expert to diagnose the problem.

Martha
Thursday, April 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home