Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How many products can you handle ?

Just curious to know how many products can a typical developer handle. What I mean by handle is to design,develop,debug and support applications. The number of customers can vary from 1 to around 50 per product. Some products have multiple versions too. I had been doing this for the past 3 years for around 5 products + doing lot of R&D.

Sunish
Tuesday, April 01, 2003

Millions upon millions of people use my software. A team of multi-talented experts organizes the interaction between customers and developors. Without them I will puke foam running around in circles gobbling.

Li-fan Chen
Tuesday, April 01, 2003

No seriously though, most senior architects can swim in at most 2 major major size projects, and maybe ponder and manage innumerable tiny ones. It depends on the code monkeys he manages. The more organized you are at archiving your projects in a way you can come back to the more you can handle I think.

Li-fan Chen
Tuesday, April 01, 2003

Anyone who thinks in terms of "managing code monkeys" will fail at even one project. At least if that is truly the mindset, rather than just an ill-conceived quick joke...

sgf
Tuesday, April 01, 2003

One at a time.

Steve Barbour
Tuesday, April 01, 2003

I guess the number of products a developer can handle depends on the complexity of the program. Of course if there are a lot of bugs or errors in the product, you are looking at a nightmare scenario.

The industry / environment that your software operates also plays a big part..in some fields, most people can solve basic problems that they face and in others it is the opposite.

Just my 2 cents.

suhu
Wednesday, April 02, 2003

Sorry, I personally handle three products at the moment. Nothing complicated, just some business apps.

Thanks

suhu

What Steve said.

I currently have 38 programs in active use by the Production Dept., plus another 9 R & D-type apps that are used by the Design guys, plus a few Access & flat-file DBs to maintain.

Fun, fun, fun!

Mark Newman

It depends entirely on the applications and the users obviously.

I can handle 350 of my locked in concrete 50 line apps for my 3000 users who actually only use it once a year.

I can only handle 1 app that I had to rush develop for the CEO last week who can't really make up his mind if he wants a text editor or an operating system, but whatever it is it has to look "neat".

In other words, it's a pointless metric.

Steve Barbour

Like a software project itself, the estimate here is mired in hundreds of external variables.

Time pressure, reporting responsibilities, staff availability, desire, and how far you are willing to let quality fall in order to meet project deadlines (which may be contractual).

Philosiphizing
Thursday, April 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home