Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Good Article

http://www.devx.com/devx/editorial/11659

I good article on programming environments, etc.

happy to be working
Monday, March 31, 2003

Damn, I should read more before I post!

True, it's a regurgitation of other stuff, but nicely summarized for the short attention span of most management types.  They always have more serious things to think about than us developers.

happy to be working
Monday, March 31, 2003

This article is simply another slant on the craft vs. software engineering debate.

Software Engineering - what I call the Fredrick Taylor approach to software development.

Craft - developers need to go through the apprentice - journeyman - master craftsman stages.

The author wrote, "It isn't just that they don't want to get buried in the filth of the past (although that's part of it); maintenance doesn't offer them the opportunity to create."

I disagree.  I have done more than my share of maintenance work over the years and IMO the author's premise that "creativity is absent from maintenance work" is way off base. There are many reasons why maintenance work sucks, however, this ain't one of them.

Pete McBreen in his book "Software Craftsmanship: The New Imperative" actually encourages the notion that maintenance programming, far from being stigmatized as a menial task relegated to the novice programmer, should be a prestigious task given only to the best skilled, the best paid and the most experienced.

I hate to sound like Bella here because I mostly agree with what the author wrote, however, when it comes to programming/software development issues -- the only opinions that truly count -- are from those individuals who manage the gold and/or make the rules.

One Programmer's Opinion
Monday, March 31, 2003

I agree... the only difference between maintenance work and "development" is where the money comes from - e.g. how it is budgeted and approved.  Not creativity.

Joe AA
Tuesday, April 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home