Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Forum Software

For those that are interested, I have now uploaded an SQL-Server 2k version as well as an Access 2k version of forum software that operates like this forum.  Both are written using VBScript and ASP.  As of yet, Neither version supports email.  Both versions are free to download and modify as you see fit.  They can be download here:
(I will try to put an html page up here)

- http://dbehnke.users5.50megs.com -

Why did I write this software:

- I was prompted by the many requests on this forum.  (So now when someone asks, 'Where can I get the source to this forum? or 'Where can I get a forum like this?', I can say, 'You can try my version of it!'

- To gain an insite as to how this forum works.  For example, it would be 'a chore' to support any html tag as you would probably be forced to write a parser so as to limit the number of tags that could be used. (i.e. you don't want users putting a form in a post).  OTOH, Ordering posts by date of last post would not be too difficult and probably only require modification to some SQL and the database table.

- It has basically become one of my 'projects.'

As always, feel free to email me with comments and suggestions.

Dave B.
Sunday, March 30, 2003

I actually was thinking of a little improvement that could be made to the forum:

When reading a discussion, it would be nice if the name of the poster appeared BEFORE the post, instead of at the end. This way you wouldn't have to scroll down to see who is saying what (as I have found myself doing often).

It would be only useful for long posts though.

Anyway, thank you very much for the source code, I'll check it right now.

Sergio
Sunday, March 30, 2003

Just installed it, works great!!  =)

Sergio
Sunday, March 30, 2003

The download server has been overloaded.  I will try to upload the files to a different site.

Dave B.
Sunday, March 30, 2003

Try this link for now:

- http://www24.brinkster.com/dbehnke -

Dave B.
Sunday, March 30, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home