Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Am I crazy?

My last post, about programming being difficult at times (and that's why I like it) was interpreted as meaning exactly the opposite of what I intended.
I was trying to express the idea that when you're learning something new there is no way to make it a mindless process. When managers are developing an idea they can't give you detailed instructions about how to proceed.
Than God!!

The Real PC
Saturday, March 29, 2003

I just posted to your last topic in your defense, and yes, your point was entirely clear.  I think posters here are a little too sensitive to coders posting about the joys of hacking code without design when Joel's all about design (and I know you weren't posting about hacking, but prototyping).  Why do I know this?  Because good coders reexperience the fun of hacking when prototyping, then get down to business when the approach is clear, and I assume that you being here qualifies you in some way as a programmer.
The first stages of a project are ALL ABOUT the joy of problem-solving, then the later stages are all about the joys of creation and refining.  The same feelings other craftsmen experience as well.

D Cox
Saturday, March 29, 2003

I'm not just a coder taking dictation from managers, I'm supposed to be an analyst also.
The managers trusted me to make sense out of their vague instructions and I appreciate that. I feel I'm being given a chance to be creative and to learn new things and that makes me ecstatic.

The Real PC
Saturday, March 29, 2003

Yeah-- that's the best situation when the managers know enough to know that they don't know the best solution right off the bat.  No matter how hard some may try to commoditize the solution another better one usually pops up in the mind of the developer.  Good managers recognize that.  Sounds like a good place to work.

D Cox
Saturday, March 29, 2003

It isn't perfect and when the managers have nothing better to do they aren't above "helping." However these managers happen to be great programmers, so their advice actually makes sense.
But when they're too busy with other things, conditions can be almost ideal. I don't know if they left me alone in recent weeks because they actually have begun to trust me, or because they had other priorities. Anyway, it was nice. Even if it only happens once in a while, it keeps me sane.

The Real PC
Saturday, March 29, 2003

I think it is trust.  I let the automated test programmers that work for me implement solutions without guidance provided it meets this simple criteria:
1) Easy to maintain
2) Easy to use
3) Runs unattended and handles exceptions, recovers gracefully
4) Logs the progress of the test and collects forensic info so it's easy to submit a bug reports
5) well documented (comment header and comments in the code when it is not clear...)

Many times they have more elegant and robust solutions then I would have constructed.  I think they take more pride in thier work this way.  I never liked having designs force fed down my throat.

I also used to code 100% of the time myself so I've earned their respect since I've walked in their shoes.

Steven Tyler
Saturday, March 29, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home